Hoosiers try sloppy Sembower -- again

IU and Butler face off in postponed game

It has been more than a week since IU was scheduled to face Butler. That game, along with Tuesday's versus Xavier, was cancelled because of inclement weather. Despite three home games scheduled so far this year for IU, the Hoosiers have played only once in Sembower Field, when they defeated DePauw 5-0. Thursday they hope to take back their home-field advantage despite weather conditions calling for rain. \nLuckily the Hoosiers have won consistently on the road. After coming out 2-1 in a tournament in Millington, Tenn., IU turned around and went back on the road to take three out of the four games in the Gent Classic in Shreveport, La., on their way to capturing the championship title. \n"It proves that we can win on the road, and it gives us some momentum," said junior outfielder Zach Boswell. "I think it prepares us for home games even better." \nLeading the Hoosiers offensively this year is senior first baseman Ryan Parker. So far this season, Parker has completed a .735 slugging percentage contributing to his eight RBIs, five doubles and one home run. The home run came Friday against Centenary, when the Hoosiers won a close game, 4-3. Parker's .441 batting average this season along with his 15 hits also tops the IU offense. \nBut even the weather can affect the best bats in the Hoosier line-up. \n"It's disappointing to not be able to get outside," Parker said. "But I think we got a lot of good games in."\nThe games off for IU will benefit one standout Hoosier. Senior third baseman Corby Heckman went down in the final game of last week's tournament with a minor ankle injury. Heckman factored in nine hits and three runs in the Hoosiers' seizing of the Gent Classic. He is also second in the offense with a .414 batting average while contributing 12 hits. The lost games will give the Spencer, Ind., native time to rest his ankle and be ready to play in Bradenton, Fla., during spring break. \nFor eight days, the Hoosiers will be in Florida playing seven games. It is another line of road games that challenge the Hoosiers away from Sembower Field. Despite predicted weather conditions, the Thursday Butler game is the Hoosiers' final hope for a home game before heading into spring break.\n"Weather is baseball's worst enemy," said IU coach Bob Morgan. "It would be nice to get a game in before we head to Florida next week, but it's all a little frustrating."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Andrew Shaffer at asshaffe@indiana.edu.