Classical guitarist transcends status as former child prodigy

Croatian musician to perform at John Waldron Arts Center

Many child prodigies become forgotten as they grow of age; they taste the sweetness of fame in their childhood, but the public eye eventually moves on, and they're unable to adjust to their new "common" status. \nSome talents shown in childhood are merely a symptom of accelerated growth rather than possessing an extraordinary gift, but a few fit the definition of genius. \nAna Vidovic, one of the "youngest virtuoso guitarists in the world," according to a press release, will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday at the John Waldron Arts Center. The Bloomington Classical Guitar Society has had the show booked for 18 months, said Mark Bisesi, the society's director. \n"She's truly one of the great guitarists of our time," Bisesi said.\nVidovic picked up the guitar when she was five in her hometown of Karlovac, Croatia, and began playing internationally at age 11. Now 23, she has won international competitions and given more than 1,000 public performances. \nBefore her busy touring schedule picks up, Vidovic has been taking a break at home in Baltimore. \n"I'm enjoying it very much," Vidovic said of her touring. "I plan on doing it as many years as I can." \nShe began attending the National Musical Academy in Zagreb, Croatia at age 13, where she was the youngest student to attend, and was invited to study at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore, from where she graduated in May 2003.\n"Practice was intense," Vidovic said. "It was usually five to six hours of practice, sometimes three to four hours; it's as long as you able to hold up." \nHer years of training combined with talent seem to have paid off, as she's been reviewed nationally and internationally. \n"Her reputation is tremendous," Bisesi said. "She's been featured in major guitar magazines and is voted in international polls as one of the greatest young guitarists out there."\nHer career has taken her from London, Paris, Vienna and Rome to San Francisco, Dallas and St. Louis, to name a few, and within the last month, she toured Japan. For the next few days, Vidovic will perform in Evansville and Bloomington, which is quite a change from the bigger cities she has toured, she said. \nIn addition to her performance in the John Waldron Arts Center, she'll also conduct a master class from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday in the JWAC Auditorium. \n"We're trying to bring performers and expose the community to classical guitar," Bisesi said. "Bloomington is just a great place for music."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Christine Jang at chrjang@indiana.edu.