23 new faces sign with IU football team

New coach Hoeppner to reveal 'mystery recruit' Saturday

After months of traveling around the country and hosting recruits on campus, IU coach Terry Hoeppner celebrated one of the most exciting days in football as the Hoosiers announced the signing of 23 recruits Wednesday in the Football Complex at Memorial Stadium. \nIn addition to the announcement of 23 commitments, one "mystery player" has not been announced. Upon the player's request, Hoeppner will wait until Saturday to announce who recruit No. 24 is, he said. \n"We've honored the family's wishes because he has signed with us, but he wanted to wait and do it when his family was together," Hoeppner said. "In terms of the recruiting services, he will be the highest-rated player on the team. On Saturday, you will say, 'Are you kidding me? How did you get that one?' Kind of the icing on the cake." \nLike many mornings for Hoeppner and his coaching staff, things got off to a quick start. The first letter of intent rolled in at 7:07 a.m. from Andrew Means, a wide receiver from Ohio.\nThe fax machine continued spewing out letters of intent all afternoon as the paper trail finally ended as Chris Banks finished National Signing Day for the Hoosiers.\nBy the end of the day, Hoeppner said he had a lot to be excited about.\nThe staff was able to keep 10 of the original 14 players who committed to former IU coach Gerry DiNardo, in addition to the 13 players the new staff recruited and signed.\nHoeppner's first recruit as coach of the Hoosiers was Tim Sergi from Indianapolis.\nOhio was the most represented state with six. Five players from Indiana signed at IU, as well as four from Florida. The rest of the class was composed with players from Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Virginia and Wisconsin. \nThe Sunshine State proved to be a unique circumstance because of the late scheduling of official visits to campus. Florida will continue to be an integral part of the Hoosier recruiting strategy because of the talent level, Hoeppner said.\n"You can get good kids out of there, there are a lot of players down there and Florida State, Florida and Miami can't get them all," said Troy Douglas, a Jacksonville, Fla., native and IU's recruiting coordinator. "I think that the biggest problem with us last year is that we didn't play in space real good. When we got put in space our lack of athleticism showed up. I think we got some guys that can play in space this class."\nIn terms of recruiting strategy Hoeppner plans to try and recruit an entire team, evident through the multitude of players at different positions, with the possibility of some switching positions when fall rolls around.\nOne position IU didn't sign a player at was quarterback.\n"I am very particular when it comes to that position," Hoeppner said. "I wasn't going to just take any guy at quarterback."\nOne of the most popular positions dominating the signing day roster was running back. The Hoosiers currently have four players listed at running back on the spring roster, including Dennis Underwood, who graduated early and is currently enrolled in classes at IU. In addition to the four already on the team, IU added three more to the squad bringing the number up to seven.\nThe number of running backs could jump up to eight as former IU running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis is considering coming back to Bloomington. \n"Whenever BenJarvus was leaving that affected some of the running backs (who came to IU)," Hoeppner said. "Whether or not he comes back ... he has called us and indicated he wants to come back." \nDuring the press conference, Hoeppner took questions from the standing-room-only crowd and showed videos of all the recruits and future plans for the newest Hoosiers.\nAmong the video clips that drew the largest amazement was that of safety Austin Thomas. Thomas, a native of Woodstock, Ga., was shown hitting a player and knocking off his helmet, amongst one-handed interceptions and touchdowns.\nAs IU fought off competition throughout the country trying to swoop in at the last minute to steal potential Hoosiers, it wasn't until the letters came pouring in that Hoeppner could breathe a sigh of relief, he said.\n"It is a lonely, weird life we lead as coaches when one of the highlights of your life is watching the fax machine go off so you can see who just signed with you."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.