From New York to Australia: studying in Sydney

Studying abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience in which students have the opportunity to live and adapt to the lifestyle of another culture. Because this chance won't come again, or at least in the near future, I chose to get as far away from America as I could get. As of this February, I will be half way around the world and about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime once I arrive one full day later in beautiful Australia.\nWhen people ask me why I chose Australia as my desired destination, my typical response is, "Well, why wouldn't I?" Living just minutes away from the world's most beautiful beaches and taking trips to exciting and unusual places like the Outback was just enough to \nget me to buy a ticket. Once I was sold on the idea of spending half a year down under, I soon found there was a whole lot more the country has to offer than just \nwhite sand beaches. \nBeing a native New Yorker, I knew I had to live in the fast-paced city of Sydney. Sydney is known for its beautiful beaches and temperate climate, which according to me makes the city one of the world's most glamorous. The beach is a major part of life for native Australians whether they surf and swim or just love the beautiful ocean view. I expect that life in Sydney will be a mix of sophisticated cosmopolitan city and beach living.\nThe harbor of Sydney is extremely large and divides the city into northern and southern halves. Some of Sydney's most famous tourist sights are the zoos, beaches and mountains that are said to be as scenic -- if not more so -- than those in the other parts of Australia, according to "Fodor's Australia 2005." \nOne of the natural sites I am excited about are the Blue Mountains, which I will be visiting on an overnight trip during my five-day orientation. I also will be going on a week-long trip to the South Island of New Zealand. I will be visiting Queenstown, home of the world's highest bungee jump (the Nevis), and Franz Josef, which is known for glacier hiking. New Zealand, otherwise known as an "adventure playground," has been called one of the most beautiful atmospheres in the world. \nIf you are planning on going to Australia, then a trip to the Outback is definitely essential. The Outback occupies one-sixth of the Australian continent but is home to less than 1 percent of the population. Known for its rough terrain, dreadful heat and overwhelming landscape, the Outback is an excursion that should not and will not be missed by me. Kangaroos, koalas and other animals indigenous to this region are fascinating. Australia is also home to some of the most interesting and noteworthy plants not found in other parts of the world, according to "Australia: Beyond the Outback."\nThis is a country rich in culture. Fine and performing arts are plentiful, and so is the liberal attitude that encourages multiculturalism and diversity while promoting pride in being an Australian.\nAnd now my favorite topic: fashion. After the UGG explosion last winter, everyone associates Australian fashion with UGGs. But Australian fashion goes far beyond the famous boots. In fact, UGGs aren't a fashion statement by any means for native Australians, and they aren't considered trendy or stylish, according to University of Pennsylvania student Ariel Blorian, who just returned from a semester of studying in Australia. Blorian's Australian friends say UGGs are worn around the house and often by surfers after getting out of the ocean. In fact, Australian fashion is taking off, and many of Australia's leading designers concentrate on the nation's natural fibers, such as cotton, wool, cashmere, mohair and alpaca. Australia is quickly becoming a fashion mecca. The latest styles are showcased annually in Mercedes Australian Fashion Week.\nI'm sure that my future experience living in this magnificent country will far surpass my expectations. The Great Barrier Reef, the Outback and the beautiful beaches are just some of the things that I am looking forward to seeing. While this large continent has a great deal to offer, it will be nearly impossible to experience it all. But I will do my best to embrace every opportunity afforded me on this excursion, and I'll be sure to report all the highlights of this new adventure.