A Jersey 'State' of mind

China Luxury Car

When it comes to the success of "Garden State," the empty shelves at the local Best Buy on the day of the DVD's release speak for themselves. And I was the customer fortunate enough to acquire the very last copy.\nIt is almost too hard to describe what exactly the key to the movie's success is. Perhaps the secret lies in the unique cinematography or the random humor. Maybe it is the perfectly chosen soundtrack or in-depth character development. Either way, it's safe to say that Zach Braff's ("Scrubs") first attempt at movie directing was a complete success. Is there anything this actor/director/writer cannot do?\nThe movie follows the life of 26-year-old Andrew Largeman (Braff), a wannabe actor working as a waiter in Los Angeles. He has spent the majority of his life in a lithium-induced dream prescribed by his father (Ian Holm, "The Lord of the Rings"). After not seeing his family since he was 17, Largeman receives a call from his father explaining that Andrew's paraplegic mother has died. Andrew leaves Los Angeles and the lithium behind to fly back to New Jersey and attend her funeral. There he becomes reacquainted with a handful of unusual, childhood friends. He quickly learns how nine years can transform people into drug addicts, crooked cops, grave-digging kleptomaniacs, fast-food knights and millionaires. \nWhile experiencing the sober life for the first time since his youth, Andrew meets Sam (Natalie Portman). She is everything he's not -- spontaneous, free-spirited, unguarded. She becomes his inspiration as he learns to cope with his troubled past and searches for a place that feels like home. \nThe DVD contains commentary by Braff and Portman, a 'making-of' featurette and the soundtrack promotion. There are also several bloopers which give insight to Braff's witty disposition -- something almost completely hidden by his character's dry persona. The most engaging feature, however, was the 16 deleted scenes. These scenes help paint a better idea of Andrew's life as an actor in Los Angeles and the twisted lives of his friends back home. \nThere are not that many movies today that can leave you with a feeling of overall happiness. "Garden State" has achieved that perfect blend of humor, irony and drama, serving as a testament to everyone who just needs to slow down, take a breath and let go.