Senior awarded British scholarship

Rebecca Homkes will pursue masters in economics

The Marshall Scholarship, which was established by the British Parliament in 1953 in honor of the United States' effort to rebuild Western Europe following World War II, has once again found its way to an IU student. Senior Rebecca Homkes of Russiaville, Ind., was recently selected as the 11th IU student to receive the award.\nThirty scholarships are awarded annually to students around the U.S.\nHomkes is a senior in the Kelley School of Business Honors Program majoring in finance, accounting and international studies. Additionally, she is earning a major in political science in the College of Arts and Sciences while working toward a minor in economics.\nA main objective of the Marshall Scholarship program is to bring to Britain some of the brightest and most ambitious young American minds. The scholarship seeks to aid in the education of those who have displayed the skills to become future influential leaders throughout the world.\nHomkes' time at IU is a testament to her ability to make the most of the scholarship and the opportunities that it will offer. In addition to her rigorous course work, Homkes is president of the IU Global Sales Leadership Club as well as an active member of the IU Student Association.\n"Rebecca possesses the ability to develop outlines in her head when she listens to meetings or speeches and immediately recall the points of each one in an organized format ... This particular skill serves her well in interviews with Blue Chip companies like McKinsey, Bain and Goldman Sachs," said Dick Canada, the executive director of the Global Sales Leadership Club and one of Homkes' business professors.\nThe criteria for membership in the Global Sales Leadership Club include a student's previous leadership positions, a grade point average of 3.5 or better, and interactive and social skills. Homkes earned her position as president of the organization by maintaining a 4.0 GPA and establishing herself in leadership positions throughout her college career, including the IU College Republicans.\n"I am a student tutor for finance and accounting business classes," Homkes said. She has been tutoring students in business classes throughout her time at IU.\nShe will begin her studies at the university in London in September 2005.\n"I'll be going to the London School of Economics and getting a master's in economics," Homkes said. \nHomkes has little free time and spends most of her time out of class in one of her many extracurricular activities. \nShe will be graduating in May 2005 and is looking forward to the summer and the unexpected and welcome detour receiving the Marshall Scholarship has provided her.\n"I haven't decided what I am doing (this summer). The scholarship obviously changed some plans ... I had been considering going into consulting or financial investments."\nHomkes will likely be working in some capacity in Washington D.C. this summer, as she has previously held an internship in Washington in Senator Richard Lugar's office. Whatever path she chooses, it seems Rebecca Homkes is marked for a promising career in public service and the development of economic policy.\n"People who have an opportunity to observe her in various situations begin to recognize that she may be headed to greatness. It would not surprise me if she became a governor, senator or even president, since she is interested in pursing an economic and policy career in the private and public sectors," Canada said.\n-- Contact staff writer Ron Neroda at rneroda@indiana.edu.