Conference provides network opportunities

Midwest students gain insight from sport professionals

INDIANAPOLIS -- Students from IU and other universities around the Midwest expanded their network with sport professionals at the third annual IU Sport Management Career Networking Conference Saturday in Indianapolis.\nThe Association of Student Sport Management Professionals, a student organization at IU, held the conference as an opportunity for about 75 undergraduate and graduate students to create contacts and receive advice from successful people in various areas of sport management.\nGreg Hylton, director of marketing and ticket sales for the Indianapolis Colts, told the students internships are one of the most critical experiences a student can gain during college, even though the internships might not pay well.\n"There's no other way to get into sports than starting from the bottom," Hylton said. "The money's not gonna be there for you, but you've gotta work through that."\nThe panelists also told their stories of climbing the ladder to success, and how it may not be as easy as it looks.\nAnthony Calhoun, sports anchor at WISH-TV in Indianapolis, said he sacrificed his weekends to intern at a local station during his undergraduate years at Syracuse University.\n"I was always at the station," he said. "Friday, Saturday, Sunday. But I knew that's what I had to do."\nKevin Carr, director of player development for the NBA and keynote speaker at the conference, told the students to observe and listen while interning or working at a job.\n"Think about yourself as a sponge," Carr said. "Think about yourself as having a level of knowledge so you can pick up things that will give you the opportunities you're looking for."\nAll of the speakers emphasized the importance of networking with people in the sport management field and that coming to the networking conference was a great start.\n"Networking is important, but there's a right way to do it and a wrong way to do it," said Chris Haydock, administrator of player development for the Los Angeles Dodgers. "Don't be afraid to walk up to someone and introduce yourself. It's a lost art."\nCalhoun said networking is also critical during school, but is also important throughout one's career.\n"Never stop networking," Calhoun said. "You never know what this job might lead to later."\nThe speakers said most entry level positions in sports will be sales, data entry, and cold calls, because those positions usually open up more often than others.\n"If you prove to your company that you can sell, then more opportunities will open up later for you," said Randy Lewandowski, assistant general manager of the Indianapolis Indians.\nThe conference was held in Indianapolis this year to expand from the last two years when it was held in Bloomington.\nJohn Folomos, a participant at the conference, said he came because he's looking for more job opportunities in sports. He graduated from IU in May with a degree in sport marketing and management.\nHe said he thought the conference was worth the trip he made from Chicago to attend and recommended anyone interested in sports to come to the conference next year.\n"It was a great experience for me," he said. "I was actually very motivated by a lot of the speakers."\nHaydock said the most important thing for students to take away from the conference was the idea that the sports industry can be challenging, but never giving up is the way to succeed.\n"It can happen," he said. "All of those hopes and dreams you have can happen." \n-- Contact staff writer Lori Snow at losnow@indiana.edu.