Successful season ends in Regional loss

Club looks forward to indoor, spring campaigns

IU soccer is synonymous with success. IU soccer teams have produced six national championships, 16 College Cup appearances, 27 All-American honorees and the most successful coach in NCAA history. Beating the Hoosiers can make a season a success for many teams. \nMost club teams don't live up to the level of achievement of successful varsity teams. However, the IU men's intramural club soccer team has kept up this high standard of success. The team has consistently being ranked as one of the best club teams in the nation.\nThe team wrapped up a successful fall campaign in disappointing fashion this weekend, failing to advance from the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association Region 3 tournament held in Bloomington. The Hoosiers were favored entering the tournament carrying the No. 5 regional ranking and playing games in the friendly confines of Karst Farm Park. IU started out the weekend with its most difficult opponent of the weekend, the Dayton University Flyers. Windy conditions did not hamper the quality of play from both sides. After 90 minutes of close play, the teams each walked away with a point after tying.\nIU knew what it needed to do heading into its final group game. Dayton had beat Ohio University 2-0 and the scenario was simple; a 2-0 victory would advance the Hoosiers to the championship by virtue of their higher ranking. Anything else would mean an end for the fall season. \nThe Hoosiers came out dominating the game taking a 1-0 lead early. The domination failed to translate into goals as the Hoosiers were unable to finish the opportunities their hard work had earned. Then, suddenly, Ohio attacked back and scored the equalizer -- the nail in the Hoosiers' coffin. The wind fell out of the sails as Ohio added another goal to defeat the Hoosiers 2-1.\n"We really just didn't come to play today," said club treasurer Nick Tiemann of the team's performance over the weekend.\nDayton ended up winning the tournament and earning a berth into the NIRSA National Championships Nov. 18--20 at the University of Texas where they will face the winners of the other NIRSA regions.\n"We had a good season this fall. It was a pretty successful season overall, even though we did not advance from regionals," said senior, club president Andy Leigh. "We are looking forward to the indoor season and then the spring season after that."\nAlthough the Hoosiers did not advance from this weekend, the season as a whole was a success. The Hoosiers compiled an 8-3-1 record against the top competition from around the Midwest and earned a No. 5 regional ranking at the end of the regular season. The club soccer team does not stop after the end of the fall season. The team will have two teams participate in indoor leagues during the winter and will hit the outdoor pitch again in the spring. The spring season is highlighted by a prestigious tournament at the Anheuser-Busch Soccer Complex in St. Louis.\nThe future of the Hoosiers looks bright as the team, composed of many young players, looks to build on this season's success.\n"We have a young team, so we should be successful next year as well," Tiemann said. "We only lose two starters from this year's team. They were important starters, so it will be important to find people to step up and fill those roles."\n-- Contact staff writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.