One last hurrah for some

Seniors say goodbye both to IU, Hoosier football

The clock will tick down and the end will inevitably come. For the 2004-05 IU senior class, that time is now and the battles fought on the football field will soon be relegated into the annals of memories and war stories. \nHow appropriate that the seniors' final stand will come against Purdue University. Senior quarterback Matt LoVecchio said he understands the magnitude of the game even though he has only played against them as a Hoosier one time. \n"Since I've been a freshman, Purdue's been on my college schedule every year," LoVecchio said. "As you get older, you kind of learn what it's all about ... It is befitting, my last Notre Dame game was against Purdue at Purdue and my last Indiana game will be against Purdue. We've got to give it our all." \nRiding a 3-7 record into the Old Oaken Bucket game wasn't exactly in most seniors' ideas of a great season. Nevertheless, there is an inalienable faith in the program and the direction it is headed that is instilled within the outgoing Hoosiers.\n"IU football is on the rise right now and coach (Gerry) DiNardo has done a great job," senior tackle Jodie Clemons said. "I just want guys to realize that just because the win-loss record doesn't show it, people shouldn't underestimate this program."\nBelief is strong within these players -- both of the Hoosier program as a whole and the legacy their class will leave behind. However, as much as these players believe in IU, there is disbelief the end has finally come after so many years of donning the cream and crimson. \n"It's going to (be) really tough to suit up for that last time because you never see the end coming so fast," Clemons said. "Now I'm in the last days of my college career here and it's going to be a bittersweet day. I came here to grow as a person and as a player and I think I've achieved that and you can't ask for more than that." \nFirsts are always some of the most memorable moments in people's lives -- things such as the first day of school to the first kiss are always some of the most cherished snapshots of the past. Safety Herana-Daze Jones said his experience at IU was no exception to this rule, as his most fond memories come from many of his career's firsts. \n"My strongest memory is my first game playing against N.C. State. I remember the first play, and I remember my first start against Northwestern," Jones said. "Those are memories that will stick with you for the rest of your life." \nFor Clemons, retrospect is a very personal endeavor because the memories he has gained as a Hoosier are very dear to him and will never go away.\n"I'm just fortunate to be a part of something like this and thankful that I was able to contribute to the team," Clemons said. "The personal relationships and the memories of being together as a unit -- nobody could ever take that away from me and that is what I'm going to take away from here." \nFor some, the road through IU football has been paved with success -- despite the team's lack thereof. However, wide receiver and the Hoosiers' all-time leader in catches and receiving yards Courtney Roby said the numbers and accolades were never the focus because he just played and let the judges do what they do best.\n"Anybody who plays wants to be one of the greats, but that's a title people give you," Roby said. "If people consider me the greatest, then that's definitely an honor."\nThe years have gone by, the weights have been lifted, the hits were made and after years of playing together, Roby said all the seniors feel tied together. For most of them, the relationship has grown so strong that it has surpassed the ranks of friendship and grown past the confines of Memorial Stadium to something larger -- brotherhood. \n"It's a big bond, a very strong bond," Roby said. "These guys have become like brothers to me because I've been with them for the last four years of my career. We've hung out, we've cried, we've sweated, we've been through a lot together."\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Patrick at djpatric@indiana.edu.