Colts pass midseason report

For most teams, a 5-3 record and a share of a division lead would constitute a good first half of the season, but the Indianapolis Colts aren't most teams.\nExpectations were high after last season's trip to the AFC Conference finals, but after an opening week loss to defending champion New England coupled with back-to-back losses to Jacksonville and Kansas City, the Colts entered Monday night's game needing a win.\nIndianapolis came out and played one of its better games of the year, winning 31-28 over the Minnesota Vikings on a last-second field goal by Mike Vanderjagt. Peyton Manning threw four touchdown passes, and the Colts defense showed improvement.\nNow the Colts are tied atop the AFC South with Jacksonville at 5-3, and the two teams split the season series. Their remaining opponents' records are nearly even, so there could be a battle down the stretch.

OFFENSE: A+\nNo. 1 in the NFL in scoring, No. 2 in the NFL in yards per game -- can they get even better?\n"We're hard to stop. Our offense is playing really efficient football right now," said Colts' coach Tony Dungy. "We're playing really well in the red zone. The combination of Edgerrin (James) running and people having to play defense like that, and as accurate as Peyton is, even little spaces he's able to put the ball in there. We don't hurt ourselves with penalties. We're tough to stop."\nThe three-headed monster of Manning, James and receiver Marvin Harrison is sprouting a few more heads with Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, Dallas Clark and Marcus Pollard all paying dividends. Manning leads the league in passing and touchdowns and is on pace to break Dan Marino's record of 48 touchdowns set in 1984.\nManning and Harrison also became the most proficient tandem in NFL history as the two have hooked up 666 times. The old record was 663 set by former Buffalo Bills duo Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. Harrison also became the fastest receiver to 800 catches, reaching the mark in 131 games, 23 fewer games than Jerry Rice.\nThe Colts are scoring more than 31 points per game. If the Colts keep scoring at this pace, they will make the playoffs. But will the defense hold them down?

DEFENSE: C-\nWhile the offense tops the league, the defense has been soft giving up 25.8 points per game, leaving them at 28th in the league. Injuries have hurt the secondary, but Monday's effort looked promising. Rookie safety Bob Sanders said the chemistry is coming together.\n"I think we're getting better," Sanders said. "I think coming in the second half of the year that we pretty much have an idea of where we stand. We're in good shape. We feel comfortable with that. We just have to continue to prepare and be ready every week to play 60 minutes."\nMany young players have seen action early on this season. The first-year Sanders played his best game Monday night after missing games early on with injuries. He will need to step up to help a weak Indianapolis secondary.\nDwight Freeney will have to lead the young squad and improve a lot if the Colts want to make it far in the playoffs.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B-\nVanderjagt has missed two field goals this year, but Hunter Smith has been great in the punting game, ranking second in the NFL with 45.8 yards per punt. Plus, Vanderjagt lost his role as the kickoff specialist. The Colts can't keep giving up valuable field position.\nBrad Pyatt returned Monday night as the kick and punt returner. He protects the ball but hasn't shown that he can break one long. He averages 5.3 yards on punts and 23 yards on kickoffs. Those extra yards in special teams can make the difference between a win and a loss in the playoffs.

COACHING: B+\nDungy has put his team in position to win every game. The Colts have yet to be blown out and have held the lead or been tied in every game. He needs to work on his defensive game plans. The Colts can't keep giving up all these points and expect to win.

OVERALL: B+\nThe Colts are in first, but at 5-3, they could be better. Indianapolis has high hopes for the rest of the season and well into the playoffs as well. They have the confidence after Monday night's win, but the key is to keep that going.\n"We don't have a team on the schedule we don't think we can beat," Freeney said. "Even in the beginning of the year, we felt like we should be undefeated. You have to go out there thinking we have to win every game. It may not happen, but you do what you have to do. We have some big games coming up. This game gave us some momentum going into the next week."\n-- Contact staff writer Tyler V. Hoeppner at thorppne@indiana.edu.