Urban sculptor shows inspiration in lecture

The School of Fine Arts revealed its latest exhibit at a gallery opening Friday night. Among the new works on display were the large-scale bronze and fiberglass sculptures of Neil Goodman, an IU-Northwest professor of art.\nGoodman has exhibited internationally, but Friday night he graced students and faculty at the SOFA Gallery with a lecture about his work. He said his latest exhibit, "Lenses and Loops," is a reflection of his interest in the landscape and topography of where he has lived and worked for most of his life - northwest Indiana.\nGoodman received his B.A. from IU and his M.F.A. from the Tyler School of Art in Philadelphia. Two of his former IU professors attended his lecture.\n"It means a lot to me that my teachers are here," Goodman said. "It's sweet when people's lives and careers continuously cross each other."\nSOFA Gallery Director Betsy Stirratt said she has loved Goodman's work for a long time. \n"The installation worked out and it's just beautiful," Stirratt said. "I really like his small pieces."\nGoodman said his inspiration comes from philosophy and his surroundings. \n"I try to create poetic and human space," Goodman said. "(I design my sculptures to act as) a lens: lines moving through space that change the landscape like lightening, a great theater."\nGoodman said his first artistic projects were all still lifes. After adapting to still life, he began to work out visual thinking about the idea of how objects work with one another in space. In still life, Goodman was interested in creating pictorial space and drama. He said he tried to stretch the idea of a pictorial plane to expand the field of vision. \nHe said by expanding the field of vision, we can see what happens when perception is altered because of the way we live. \nLiving in Chicago for some time, Goodman observed architecture that motivated later projects. Goodman also got inspiration for his work from the character Sidney in the movie "Toy Story." The character is made out of a lot of different pieces. Goodman started making many small wooden sculptures and arranging them in a way to make one large sculpture out of individualized pieces. \nThe works currently on display at the SOFA Gallery are prototypes for a sculpture garden Goodman is designing for IU-Northwest's sculpture garden in Gary. Goodman said when he works with a public space he tries to find what is unique about it. He then creates forms related to landscape rather than to interior space. \n"I've seen his show in Indy and I love his work. Many of the forms are similar but on a smaller level," said sculptor Dale Enochs. "Enlarged forms impact very differently. It affects you in a visceral manner."\nGoodman has done a variety of things with his art. He continues to use the skills he has mastered while adding fresh additions to provide a modern and never before seem form. \n"Once a body of work is played out it just becomes part of your vocabulary and then you can go back and use them at different times," Goodman said.\n-- Contact staff writer Mallory Zalkin at mzalkin@indiana.edu.