Dealin' em: Euchre begins another season

Popular Midwest game carries over to intramural event

There are many different aspects that can define a Hoosier. Car racing, basketball, corn -- they all represent Indiana in a special way. The card game Euchre is another that sets a Hoosier apart from a resident of any other state. \nThe Euchre revolution began in the 1800s, deriving from a game called "Jucker." \nThe game is played around the globe and is continuing to become popular in other countries. Most will agree that, though fun, Euchre is still a difficult game. \nEuchre is regularly played with two pairs of players. The object of the game is to score ten points by scoring tricks.\nThis campus has become quite a hot-spot for many Euchre players. The IU RecSports department noticed the high number of Euchre players and added the game as an intramural sport, drawing quite a crowd. \nThe cost of participation is $4. \n"Students came to us, demonstrated interest, and we thought it would be a great addition to the intramural program," said Assistant Director of Intramurals Josh Downing. \nEuchre has been an intramural sport for more than 10 years, and last year alone, intramural Euchre drew in 180 participants. \nDowning mentioned the sport is a one-night event and it consists two divisions. \n"(Each) team plays four matches and 12 hands in each match, and the teams with the most points after four matches win the tournament," Downing said. \nSome students who participate in the one-night event conjure up a great part of one of Indiana's favorite pastimes. Junior Jeremy Webster, of Veedersburg, Ind., loves the game and has been playing since he was 10 years old. Although this is his first time playing in the intramural program he says he really enjoys the game. \n"In high school, my friends and I became fanatic about the game, playing it at every free moment. Euchre is my crack cocaine -- the more I play, the more I want to play," Webster said. \nFor many of these Indiana natives, Euchre is much more than just a card game.\nFreshman Jonathan Pollack has been playing Euchre for about two years. \n"I decided to sign up for Euchre because my friend and I played so many times back home, and we want to play together here and win it all," Pollack said. \nA native of Tennessee, Pollack's participation lends credence to the claim that Euchre is much more than an Indiana game.\nEuchre is by far one of the most unique games the IU RecSports department offers, but if students show interest in other games and sports, the department says they have no problems with creating a new sport. Downing said IU has one of the only intramural programs in the nation that plays Euchre, and it is glad to have it. \n"The atmosphere is great and students are just having a great time. It's a chance to get away from the stress of classes and come out and play a really fun game." \n-- Contact staff writer Chris Hopper at chopper@indiana.edu.