2-0 Hoosiers prepare for annual border war with Kentucky Saturday

Jones proud of Big Ten award as offense looks to improve

After a 2003 season in which the Hoosiers gave up 30 points nine times and only forced 20 turnovers, the 2004 squad is working to reverse those trends this season.\nWith the 2-0 start, IU has yet to surrender 30 points to either opponent and has forced nine turnovers, including seven in its upset win over then-No. 24 University of Oregon, 30-24.\nAmong the defensive players helping the Hoosiers turn their fortunes is senior safety Herana-Daze Jones.\nAgainst Oregon, Jones collected nine tackles in addition to a key interception in the fourth quarter helping IU preserve the victory.\nIn the process, Jones garnered Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honors for his play against Oregon.\n"It felt pretty good," said Jones, downplaying his achievement. "Our job is trying to hold them to one point less than our offense."

Offensive woes for Hoosiers\nThe Hoosiers getting off to a 2-0 start has surprised some, but the way that it has been done is the real surprise.\nIn both victories this season, the Hoosiers have been out-gained on the offensive side.\nIn the season opener against Central Michigan, the Chippewas gained 50 yards more than the Hoosiers, but IU won 41-10.\nFor the Hoosiers, this was the first time they won despite being out-gained since 1999, when IU defeated the University of Iowa, 38-31.\nAgainst Oregon, the offensive yard margin was greater, as the Ducks put up 495 yards on the Hoosier defense to the 198 yards that IU mustered. \nGetting the offense on track will be important for the rest of the season, though, senior quarterback Matt LoVecchio said.\n"We just have to get better as an offense, and we're working on that," LoVecchio said. "Football is a team game, and whether we win with defense or offense, we all do it together."

Running back by committee?\nAt the beginning of the season there was talk about a three-way race to be the Hoosiers' running back for the season.\nAfter two games, the debate appears to be over, as sophomore running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis has started and played the majority of downs during the first two games.\nGreen-Ellis has gotten the lion's share of the carries in both games, totaling 188 yards with two touchdowns. But he is only averaging 3.3 yards per carry.

Special plays = special results\nGetting key plays at the right moment is important in any sport, and IU has benefited from one in the first two games to propel the team to victory.\nIn the third quarter against Central Michigan, with the Chippewas driving toward the end zone, freshman cornerback Tracy Porter intercepted a pass and returned it 96 yards for a touchdown.\nThe play prevented Central Michigan from cutting into the lead and gave IU an emotional boost, pushing the score to 27-3.\nAgainst the Ducks it was no different. After Oregon began to rally and cut the IU lead from 23-0 to 23-10, sophomore Lance Bennett answered the call and returned a kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown.\nThe kickoff return was the second longest in school history and gave IU a 30-10 lead as the Hoosiers fought off the Ducks for victory.\nGetting a big play out of the special teams was big for the win, IU coach Gerry DiNardo said.\n"We have always felt real confident with that part of our game, in special teams and returns," DiNardo said. "Once again, it has been a culmination of good coaching, and it was huge for us tonight."

Extra points\nWhen IU and UK battle in Lexington at 6 p.m. Saturday, it will be the 35th meeting between the two rivals since 1893, with IU holding a 17-16-1 advantage.\nThe last time the Hoosiers faced the Wildcats, Kentucky came away with a 34-17 victory and has won eight of the last nine meetings. A TV telecast has not yet been announced.\nThe Big Ten conference announced this week that the Hoosiers' Big Ten opener against Michigan State will be televised by ESPN/Plus at 11 a.m. from Memorial Stadium.\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.