Intensity, talent at 'Macbeth'

Battling the mosquitoes, the threat of rain and the wet grass Friday and Saturday, Bloomington residents assembled at the Third Street Park to see the Monroe County Civic Theatre's production of "Macbeth." Seated on folding chairs or lounging on the grass, the audience members were treated to an essential production that is a rare commodity these days.\n"Macbeth" is a challenging play because of a plot abundant with murders, bloodshed, witchcraft and nihilistic sentiments. But the cast of the MCCT production managed to pull off their performances with confidence. \nKacie Leblong performed the short but legendary role of Lady Macbeth with elegance and skill. Leblong, who is also an Indiana Daily Student employee, captured Lady Macbeth's chilling tone when she chided Macbeth for his cowardice and urged him to murder King Duncan in the famous line: "Infirm of purpose! / Give me the daggers. The sleeping and the dead / are but pictures."\nThe intense and impenetrable actress remained composed until the final scene when she laments: "What is done cannot be undone."\nHer co-actor, Ben Aldred, who played Macbeth, did not seem equally determined to capture the intensity of Macbeth's ambition. His laid-back swagger and jolly countenance added an interesting American spin to the quiet, puppet-like character of Macbeth. Despite the awkward expression of character, his line delivery was flawless and he excelled in the sword fighting with Macduff and the young Siward. He delivered the famous speech of Macbeth on life as a walking shadow with passion. \nJane Clevenger and Josh Mulford shined as they displayed both talent and stamina by juggling roles. Clevenger doubled as a doctor/witch and did justice to both characters. She was very convincing as the doctor who overheard Lady Macbeth's confession and attempt to wash the invisible blood off her hands. Her incantation with the other two witches around the cauldron was one of the most stimulating moments of the play. Clevenger's performance was truly electrifying, and her clarity was admirable.\nIt was Josh Mulford who juggled several roles: Donalbain, Young Siward and Fleance. Mulford was brilliant in all his roles. He captured the terrified Fleance who witnesses Banquo's murder, the courageous young Siward, who challenges Macbeth to a duel and was killed by Macbeth, and the earnest Fleance was killed with Lady Macduff.\nGreg Jacobs and Sara Jonson did an excellent job with the sound and lighting, which compensated for the minimal sets. Clevenger's costumes were as well thought out as her acting; the checkered robes flattered the actors and created a Scottish ambience necessary for the play.\nOne of the most entertaining aspects of MCCT's productions has been the request for donations before the interval. The request is always made by the characters who perform the preceding scene. This time Hecate, played by Kasi Spyker, sent off her witches to make the rounds carrying urns saying, "Make sure to put in your bit when you go lest you offend the witches or the ancient goddess Hecatewose bills are soaring." \nThe performance was flawless except for a little editing I wish MCCT would do. I admire their determination to abide by the text, but I also wish they had edited the not-so-fascinating conversation between Malcolm and Macduff on the bleeding of Scotland since King Duncan's murder. I also had mixed feelings about the wisdom of having Macduff bring Macbeth's head on his sword. Since there was no trace of blood on the mask, it felt more comic than scary.\nAll in all, the production is a source of delight not only for the Shakespeare purists but for anyone who wants to get acquainted with Jacobean drama. The stage combat, as promised by the assistant director and stage manager, Susan Anderson, is one of the most exciting aspects of the show. So, next Friday, pick up your chairs and beverages, make a beeline to the show and celebrate the end of summer school.