Opera season to close with 'Peter Grimes'

The IU Opera Theater will close its 2003-2004 season this weekend with a performance by the English opera "Peter Grimes." The opera, composed by Benjamin Britten, marked a new direction for English opera. \nIt is the story of a fisherman from a small village who is accused of murdering his young apprentice while out to sea. Although he is acquitted of the crime, the gossip-mongering of the small town and its persistence in believing he is indeed guilty drives him to suicide.\nThis emotionally-charged work is most often noted for the depth of the characters, whose torment is made apparent to the audience not only though the text but also through the score. \nEspecially notable is the unusual role of the chorus. Having a group of people acting as a single entity hearkens back to a much earlier tradition.\n"We act a lot like a chorus from a Greek play," said Annie Gill, a senior majoring in vocal performance and member of the opera chorus. "We serve as the final word of judgment for 'Peter Grimes.'"\nThis particular production is most anticipated due to the reputation of its director, Colin Graham. Graham is known as an authority on Benjamin Britten as a result of his collaboration with the composer himself. Graham has directed the premiers of the last eight operas written by the composer and has also directed "Peter Grimes" five times. \nAlthough this will be Graham's first time directing the opera for a student company, he said he has a very clear vision of his purpose here at IU.\n"My main task is not really to produce a fascinating production," Graham said. "It is to instill into the singers the need to think. It is unfortunate that opera singers are not often taught to think, only to act." \nGraham said a lot of thinking goes into singing for a production composed by Britten.\n"They need to understand what Britten meant by all the markings in the score and how to produce the characters he would have expected. I want this to be a learning experience, not just a doing experience," he said.\nThe cast has spent a lot of time rehearsing and working with the production. \n"This is definitely by far the most difficult opera chorus I've ever performed in," Gill said. "It is difficult not only musically, but dramatically."\nIU Professor David Effron will conduct this production and said he is feeling the emotional effects of the opera on everyone involved.\n"It's an incredible investment of emotion," Effron said. "You're drained every single time you do it, and there aren't very many moments of respite."\nThe collaboration between Graham and Effron is aided by Graham's clear understanding of the role the orchestra plays in this emotional work.\n"What separates Colin from many directors is that he has an incredible understanding of music and drama together," Effron said. "He knows the score as well as any musician would know the music. The whole experience has been a joy for me."\nThe orchestra has a particular role in the opera due to Britten's inclusion of six "sea interludes," purely orchestral works that are often performed independently of the opera. \n"If you play them separately, you can't get the full impact of Britten's intentions," Effron said. "You can approach them the same way, but you can't understand how they fit in the bigger picture."\nTickets areavailable for the four showings of "Peter Grimes," at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, April 9, 10, 16 and 17. The shows will be preceded by free informances at 7 p.m. on the mezzanine. For more information, call the Musical Arts Center Box Office at 855-7433.\n-- Contact staff writer at Claire Blaustein at cblauste@indiana.edu.