Join Hands Day comes to Bloomington

Come and See How the Artists Celebrate Earth Day\nJoin the celebration of Mother Earth being held in the Village Green and the nearby basement of the United Methodist Church in Nashville, Ind. Volunteer coordinator Susan Showalter said the Mother Earth Day event began in the 1980s to celebrate Brown County's birthday and eventually had its date changed from April to May because of weather problems. Volunteers are needed to assist with set-up and cleaning, food booths, help with kids' corners and various other activities. There will be three different shifts needing six volunteers each from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 3 to 6 p.m. The event itself lasts from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Showalter said volunteers will also be needed to help onstage for an all-day concert put on by nationally recognized Native-American recording artists. For more information about the event, visit the Web site at www.hometown.aol.com/motherearthday/index.\nTo volunteer, contact Susan Showalter at (812) 988-7830 or at MotherEarthDay@aol.com.

Pick It Up!\nSix neighborhoods are participating in a nation-based service called Join Hands Day to keep Bloomington beautiful and litter-free. Bryan Park, Elm Heights, Green Acres, Broadview, Downtown and Prospect Hill neighborhoods need volunteers to pick up trash and debris in free Pick It Up litter collection bags. Family Matter Coordinator for the Bloomington Volunteer Network Lucy Schaich said volunteers will be given contact information to coordinators for the different neighborhoods and the litter bags will be picked up by sanitation at the end of the day. \nFor more information, contact Lucy Schaich at 349-3433 or at schaichl@bloomington.in.gov.

Answer phones for a homeless shelter\nMartha's House needs volunteers to commit to four-hour shifts between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays answering phone calls about questions and donations. The four-hour shifts are not mandatory but are encouraged. The emergency homeless shelter provides a place to rest, eat and shower for men and women. According to board member Susie Hamilton, residents are only allowed in the shelter after 5 p.m. and must leave by 8 a.m. because they are expected to look for jobs or work during the day. Volunteers go through a short orientation and are assisted by the director and case manager as needed. \nFor more information, contact Susie Hamilton at 332-3992 or at abshamil@indiana.edu.

Build a new home with Habitat for Humanity\nMonroe County's Habitat for Humanity needs volunteers to help build a home for women in need of housing. The construction will take place during the third annual Women's Build the Week from May 15 through 22. Volunteers are especially needed for May 18, 21 and 22. No previous building experience is necessary, and all volunteers must pledge to sponsor themselves at $250 a day. Forms are available for volunteers to recruit and track sponsors.\nFor more information, contact Rebecca Mankowski at 331-4069 at rmankowski@hotmail.com.\n-- Contact staff writer Kye Lee at kyelee@indiana.edu.