IU Professor receives national honor

Professor Bill Yarber has been busy in his time at IU. \n"Lately I've been drinking a lot of chai at Starbucks," Yarber jokingly said. \nBut despite what he says, he has been doing a lot to further sexual education for people of all ages. In fact, on May 15, Yarber will receive an award from the American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists for his contributions to the field of sexology. \nThe AASECT is a not-for-profit, interdisciplinary professional organization. AASECT members share an interest in promoting understanding of human sexuality and healthy sexual behavior. \nAssociate Director of the Kinsey Institute Stephanie Sanders has worked with Yarber on numerous occasions. \n"Let me just start by saying that Bill is definitely deserving of this award," Sanders said. "He is a delightful colleague to work with and a creative thinker."\nThe award will be presented at the association's annual conference in Chicago.\nAccording to a press release, this award is given to a person who has exemplified intellectual, creative and ethical standards of excellence in the field of sexology.\nYarber has been involved in a number of studies and programs focusing heavily on AIDS education. In 1987, he chaired the development of the first AIDS curriculum for students, which sold 20,000 copies in the first month. The project was at the request of the Center for Disease Control in Atlanta. \n"This was the country's first school AIDS curriculum," Yarber said. "It focused on students in secondary school: high school and junior high. It met an important need in the country."\nYarber also helped establish the first kindergarten through 12th grade sex education curriculum. \nBut Yarber is not one to rest on his laurels. Currently, he is working on a project involving condom use, focusing on improper usage and problems.\n"Most of the research has been on whether [people] use them consistently," Yarber said. "That is only part of the problem, the other is incorrect use."\nCurrently, Yarber and other colleagues, including Sanders, are getting ready to study IU students in focus groups about condom use. Through his research, he hopes to receive a federal grant to continue his research at the national level. \n"I hope to work with students around the country," Yarber said. \nSanders said she has worked with Yarber on many projects, including research for AIDS in rural communities and errors in condom use. \n"He always looks for innovative approaches in behavioral health," Sanders said.\nAccording to the press release, the award is for an individual who is recognized by peers as being accomplished and competent and an expert in the field.\n"He has been a leader in the field of sex education," Sanders said.