IU investigates new dorm porn

Freshman runs money-making site out of Briscoe Quad

Like many IU freshman, Keira has a job to help pay for school. Unlike most freshman, her job involves taking her clothes off in front of a camera.\nKeira is the star of www.teenkeira.com, an adult Web site hosted by the webmaster Orange Image, which features topless and semi-nude pictures of her in a dorm room and shower inside Briscoe-Shoemaker. The Web site provides access to photos and Keira's journal for $24.95 per month.\nKeira agreed to be interviewed for this article on the condition that we use the name she is known as on her Web site. \nDean of Students Richard McKaig said his office is investigating whether there is unauthorized use of the University's name or space on the site.\n"We don't know yet if (the site) is associated with IU," McKaig said. "Lots of things students do do not always reflect on the University."\nKeira's real name is not being used because the investigation has not gone public.\nKeira said she has not yet been contacted by any University officials.\n"Lewd, indecent or obscene conduct" on University property is against the student code of conduct. It is under this precedent students who participated in an adult film in October 2002 were disciplined by the University. \nIn the fall 2002 incident, actresses from the pornographic film company Shane Enterprises were allowed access to Teter Quad in exchange for oral sex.\nIU could not take action against Shane Enterprises because no IU logo appeared in the film. Although there are no logos on Kiera's site, she poses in her room with the words "IU campus" in view from the emergency map on the door.\nMcKaig said he could not reveal the names or disciplinary actions faced by students in that incident but said the investigation into Keira's site "may play out the same way."\nConsequences for violating the code of ethics can range from probation to expulsion.\nKeira, who has a steady boyfriend who takes the pictures appearing on the site, said she launched the site about three weeks ago upon his suggestion. She said it helps her pay for college and family expenses.\n"It kind of helps pay for school and living next year," Keira said. "My mom and dad are divorced, and my mom has had a lot of medical problems and hasn't been able to work. Money helps pay for everything like family things -- money-wise, it makes very good money."\nKeira said her parents know about the site and have come to accept her career.\n"It's one of those things -- they were shocked at first but realized I'm doing it for money and things that will help me through school," she said.\nAs word of the site has spread around campus, Keira has become something of a minor celebrity.\n"I've had e-mails and messages and things like that, but nothing bad or stalker-wise," she said. "Just like, 'Hey I liked (the site) or I'm an IU student. Give me a call,' and they leave numbers. I've had people call and ask if they can take pictures with me." \nIt is against University policy to host a site on the network for commercial use, but Chief Information Security and Policy Officer Mark Bruhn confirmed the site does not use a University IP address.\n"If a site like that is on an IU network device, whoever is maintaining that site will be asked to take it down," Bruhn said.\nReaction to the site was mixed in Briscoe-Shoemaker, where some pictures were taken.\n"If it's keeping her in school, I don't think people should judge her just because she's using porn to provide funds," sophomore Endy Obianozie said. "We're all adults. Everyone knows what porn is. I think she has the right to do what she wants."\nSophomore Val Glysson said she was surprised about the site, but not surprised the pictures were taken in Briscoe because "there's a lot of freshmen here and not a lot of supervision."\nBut Glysson fears more pornographic activity on campus could give the school a bad reputation.\n"I don't think there should be pictures of people doing things like porn on University property," she said. "I think it gives the University a bad name."\n-- Contact senior writer Chris Freiberg at wfreiber@indiana.edu.