Target holds grand opening at College Mall location

New larger store features groceries, Pizza Hut, Starbucks

Target cleared out its shelves at its old site near College Mall and celebrated its Grand Re-opening March 2 at its new location in College Mall itself, becoming the 1,878th Target store in America. \nThe business generated by IU students was a key issue in the chain's decision to relocate. As a store where sales are larger in the summer when students return to campus rather than in the traditional sales peak during Christmas, the outdated Bloomington store was no longer adequate for the amount of retail business Bloomington receives, part-time cashier Ruth Anderson said.\n"We definitely just outgrew the old store," Anderson said. \nBy taking over the space previously occupied by the J.C. Penny department store, the store found ample room to expand. A walk past the simple, yet well-designed, mall entrance characterized by the signature cherry-red bullseye leads to crisp, spacious rows upon rows of product for sale. \n"I'd say it's one-and-a-half times larger than the old store, and we carry a lot more products in every department. Along with Isaac Mizrahi, Cherokee and Mossimo that we carried before in clothing, there's a few new brands out there," Anderson said.\nThe move required a lot of help, and Target went through mass hirings before the relocation. \n"Right now, we have three crews -- a new crew here and an old crew split between the new store and wrapping things up at the old location," Anderson said. \nAnderson also estimated more than one-third of the staff is comprised of IU students, and while hiring has halted for the moment, it may begin again, depending upon how things run. Applications are still being accepted.\n"Business has been great, and it went really smooth. I think we were well-prepared for the move," Anderson said.\nNew staff was also needed to cover the store's expanded services. With a new pharmacy, one-hour photo developing and a significantly expanded grocery and frozen food department, Anderson said Target really has become a place for one-stop shopping. Customers can even stop and have lunch at Pizza Hut or pick up coffee at Starbucks, both located near the entrance. \nIndiana students and Bloomington residents alike are confident about the future of the store. \n"I think it's a great addition to the mall," freshman Joyce Thompson said. "It makes Target trips more convenient. It's nice that busy people can do all their mall shopping and pick up a gallon of milk if they need to." \nThe Grand Re-opening attracted everyone from serious to simply curious shoppers, even bringing in a few from out of town. Although mother and daughter Peggy and Stephanie Hall had to drive more than an hour to visit, in the end they found it well worth it. \n"I love the Target store, and this new set-up is pretty neat," Peggy Hall said. "I wish we had one closer to home."\nStephanie Hall agreed with her mother. \n"My only complaint is the carts are too big. Only one person can fit down the aisle!" she said.\nTarget is located in College Mall on the corner of Kingston and Third Streets. Regular business hours remain the same as at the old store -- from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.\n-- Contact staff writer Melanie Knapp at mmknapp@indiana.edu.