Collins debuts first fashion show

Coquette Fashion Show created for non-majors

The first annual Coquette Fashion show sponsored by Collins Living Learning Center, the Union Board and People magazine kicks off at 8 p.m. tonight in Alumni Hall at the Indiana Memorial Union. The show is the first campus fashion show that allows non-design majors a chance to display their design skills. \nCoquette is the brainchild of Collins student Ruth Vaca and Union Board committee chair Markeyta Martin. Martin is the head of the Expanding Horizons committee, which caters to students interested in specific majors, including design. Both Vaca and Martin were interested in starting a fashion show for non-majors. Vaca's "Que" project, Collin's mandatory project, and Martin's Union Board backing helped form the show. \nAll of the designers are IU students whose designs are completely original with no brand names. They will be judged on originality, creativity and basic design. Sophomore Alice Broughton, a designer, has been making her own clothing since she was in seventh grade. Tonight, she will be revealing a bathing suit, bustier and pants created from different fabrics.\n"My designs are a collection of clothes I made for the show and clothes I made previously for myself," Broughton said. "Designing for the show gave me a chance to clean out my fabric box."\nBroughton enlisted her friends, freshmen Jessi Lazar and Kasey Branam and sophomore Sara Phillips, as models for the show. \n"Jessi is an awesome seamstress," Lazar said.\nBranam was a member of the Collins community council when the motion to approve the show was passed.\n"We passed this motion because it was new and interesting," Branam said. "We always try to pass projects that are really large and involved because it shows devotion to the cause."\nOut of nine runway design applicants, five will be walking the runway tonight. There were also three portfolio applicants, and one was chosen to be displayed on a table during the show.\nThe show wasn't organized without its share of difficulties. Judges dropped out and computers crashed, but Martin attributes the show's organization to "excellent planning and advertising by an excellent and dedicated committee."\nSophomore Nilaja Neely is among the members of that committee.\n"I am excited to see the outcome and the exotic interesting fashions on the runway," Neely said.\nAnother sponsor is People magazine. Two hundred dollars of advertising was purchased by People and went toward radio spots and extensive pamphlets. \n"People wanted to be involved with this show to support events reflecting the creativity and the real life of IU students," said People magazine correspondent Brigit Wiggins.\nAs prizes, the first place winner will receive $100, second place $75 and third place $50. The portfolio entrant will receive $50 as well. \nMartin said she hopes the success of this show will provide a place for next year's Coquette fashion show. "It should be great," Martin said. "This is finally another outlet for students."\n-- Contact staff writer Jaimie Cohen at jrcohen@indiana.edu.