Sailing toward mediocrity

Starsailor's second album, Silence is Easy, which follows on the heels of 2002's somewhat superior Love is Here, is a pompous display of production. How fitting that former reclusive genius/current charged murderer Phil Spector was at the helm during much of the album's creation. Spector's patented Wall of Sound, which has ruined just as many records as it's improved, appears here in the form of constant onslaughts of stringed instruments. Most of these instruments overshadow anything else that might be going on underneath.\nMost of the album seems mired in the old-fashioned sensibility that all songs must be about generic love, be it requited or unrequited. The tracks "Fidelity," "Bring My Love," "Restless Heart" and "Four to the Floor" all contain the sort of syrupy-sweet lyrics and vocals that would feel at home in an old school Journey ballad. Though, they seem forced and tacky on a record by a band with the potential of Starsailor. The title track is the finest moment here, with frontman James Walsh repeating the line "Silence is easy, it just becomes me," as Phil Spector's work behind the boards seems to somberly predict his own fate.\nAt the close of its 40 minutes, it becomes apparent that while Silence is Easy may be a very easy album to casually enjoy, it's by no means easy to respect.