'Apollo' can turn amateurs into acts

Two IU students to perform on 'Showtime at the Apollo' in NYC

Junior Stephani Parker and senior Alaina Williams will have the opportunity of a lifetime this weekend when they travel to New York City to compete at "Showtime at the Apollo," a singing competition hosted by comedian Mo'Nique. The show is taped for television and viewed by big-name music producers and recorders. In the past, amateur night at "Showtime at the Apollo" has launched the careers of many legendary artists including Ella Fitzgerald, James Brown, The Jackson Five and Lauryn Hill.\n"We are very excited," Parker said. "We can't believe we are going."\nParker and Williams met and started singing together three years ago when they both joined IU Soul Revue, a musical group sponsored by the African American and African Diaspora Studies department. The women became close friends and started singing duets together.\nWilliams said she was half asleep when she saw a television commercial advertising "Showtime at the Apollo" coming to Indianapolis. She jolted awake and immediately decided she and Parker would have to compete.\n"Everytime we sing gospel together, it opens doors for us," Williams said.\nThe two women auditioned and were selected from more than 250 performers. Parker and Williams competed against 15 other acts in "Apollo Gospel Amateur Night" at Butler University Jan. 31 in hopes of winning airline tickets to New York City and the $1,000 cash prize. The women sang the Mary Mary version of the gospel song "Thank You, Lord, for All You've Done for Me," composed by Walter Hawkins. \n"It was the best singing we've ever done in our lives," Parker said.\nThe audience chose the winner of the competition by applause. Most of the applause went to a Butler University violinist. Parker and Williams did not end up winning the competition and went home empty-handed. A few days later, one of the producers who had seen them sing at Butler called to invite them to perform at the Apollo Theater in Harlem Feb. 20.\nParker said she was overwhelmed with excitement when she heard the news.\n"I was on the floor crying as soon as I found out just thanking God for blessing us and giving us the opportunity to do this," Parker said.\nThe women plan to network while they are in New York and have arranged for their friend, Justin Johnston, who has appeared in "Rent," to show them around and introduce them to people.\n"I don't want to go and just come back," Williams said. "I want to take advantage of every opportunity."\nBecause Parker and Williams did not win the competition, they have to pay for their own airfare and accommodations in New York. The trip is costly and they do not have the funds readily available. They are currently asking for donations from anyone who is willing to help.\n"We want any and everybody to support us if they can," Williams said. "The amount doesn't matter. We will take cents if we can get them!"\nThe women have already received a tremendous amount of support from their friends and teachers. Parker's mentor, Mark Spencer, the director the West Side Theater Guild in Gary where she grew up, paid for their plane tickets when he heard about the opportunity.\n"You never believe people when they say, 'Just call me if you need anything,' but he really came through for me," Parker said.\nWilliams' pastor, Rev. Charles L. Emory of Gary, took up a collection for the trip. Lance Tolbert, a jazz studies graduate student and an assistant instructor for the rhythm section of IU Soul Revue, helped Parker and Williams record back up vocals and prepare an accompaniment tape for them to sing with at the competition.\n"They are two of the most talented people I know their age," Tolbert said. "I think they have a good chance of winning."\nShowtime at the Apollo is a three-night competition. In addition to the song Parker and Williams sang at Butler, they have also prepared "Wade in Water" and "Can't Give Up Now" by Mary Mary.\nThere is no final prize for winning the competition, but Parker said a lot of people from the music industry would be hearing them play and the reward possibilities are infinite.\nAnyone interested in sponsoring Parker and Williams' trip to perform at Showtime at the Apollo in New York City should contact Parker at 320-1108 or stnparke@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact staff writer Jenica Schultz at jwschult@indiana.edu