world

Crews attempt to contain Norwegian oil spill

OSLO, Norway -- Salvage crews worked Wednesday to limit the environmental damage from a freighter that capsized in an inlet along the west coast of Norway, killing 18 people aboard.\nCrews sought to contain oil and fuel leaking from the 544-foot MS Rocknes, which overturned Monday with 30 people on board. Only 12 were rescued.\nOle Arvesen, spokesman for the Norwegian coastal service, said air was being pumped into the wreck to keep it afloat in their search for the bodies of the 15 who remain missing and presumed dead.\nThe ship capsized, possibly after running aground, in a narrow passage between the shore and nearby Bjoroey, about 200 miles west of the capital, Oslo.\nThe ship was carrying a load of stone bound for Germany along with heavy oil, diesel fuel and lubricating oil.\nSome oil reached the shoreline near homes outside the city of Bergen.\nContainment booms were placed around the wreck to prevent the oil from spreading. Hundreds of sea birds have already been killed or contaminated, said Stein Byrkjeland, of the local environmental protection agency.\nRescuers ended the search for the missing crew on Tuesday, nearly 24 hours after the ship capsized, saying there was no hope of finding more survivors after so long in icy waters.\nThe 30 crew members included 24 Filipinos, three Dutch, two Norwegians and one German.\nThe cause of the accident was unknown, but experts told the Norwegian news media that a large gash seen in the hull indicated the ship probably tore open its ballast tanks on rocks, causing it to become unstable. The cause will be determined at a maritime hearing in Bergen.