Spin, Spin, Spin

Hillel Center to attempt to break Guinness dreidel spinning record

The Helene G. Simon Hillel Center is trying to spin its way into history as leaders will attempt to break the Guinness record for most dreidels spun at the same time Sunday. The Center will have to spin 561 dreidels to break the record currently held by the University of Maryland.\nThe event will take place at 1 p.m. in Alumni Hall of the Indiana Memorial Union and will last about 30 minutes.\nAndy Gitelson, program director at the Hillel Center, said members of the Hillel Center Student Leadership Council, thought of the event as a way to educate people on Hanukkah and raise spirits on campus.\n"We just thought it would be a lot of fun," Gitelson said. "It's kind of a way to get back at Maryland for beating us in the NCAA tournament a few years back. It's fun, but it also gets people excited about Hanukkah."\nGitelson said getting in the Guinness Book of World Records is not an easy task. The Hillel Center had to apply about 10 weeks ago and heard back from Guinness this week. In addition to organizing the event, he said there is a lot of paperwork and it can cost quite a bit to send in evidence of the feat to Guinness. He said although there won't be a Guinness representative at the event, everyone involved will have to give his or her signature and there will be photos documenting the event.\nIn order to claim the title, at least 561 people will each spin one dreidel for at least 10 seconds simultaneously. The Hillel Center has purchased around 1,000 dreidels and every participant will be able to keep the dreidel after the event. After the event, there will be cookies and music.\nGitelson said students are also encouraged to bring a canned food item for their food drive to donate to the Hoosier Hills Food Bank.\nSophomore Elizabeth Rosenberg, co-social programmer on the Student Leadership Council, said the event also educates people about all there is to offer at the Hillel Center.\n"It spreads the name and lets students know about the resources out there," she said. "It also lets people know all the great programs and ideas the Hillel Center has to offer."\nGitelson said hopefully people will come back to the center to celebrate Hanukkah, the eight-day Jewish festival of lights that falls between Dec. 20 and Dec. 27 this year. The Hillel Center will hold its Hanukkah celebration Dec. 10 from 7 to 8 p.m., at the Hillel Center, 730 E. Third Street.\n"Everyone knows about Christmas, because it is so inundated in our culture," Gitelson said. "Right after Thanksgiving we see Christmas specials and ads everywhere. But this is an event to let people know what Hanukkah is -- give people a taste of it. You can hear some Hanukkah music, play some games and have a good time."\nSophomore Michael Israel, an active member of the Hillel Center, said he thinks the event will be a great way to bring people together.\n"It's a good way to get together," he said. "Not every day you get to break a Guinness record and break it with your friends."\nFor more information on the event, e-mail Elizabeth Rosenberg at elrrosen@indiana.edu or the Hillel Center at hillel@indiana.edu.