Show benefits AIDS awareness

Beyoncé Knowles, Bono featured in performance organized by Mandela

CAPE TOWN, South Africa -- Beyoncé Knowles, Bono, Peter Gabriel and other musicians from around the world took to the stage Saturday for an AIDS benefit concert hosted by former South African President Nelson Mandela.\nThe concert will be screened globally by MTV on World AIDS Day Monday. \nMore than 30,000 people, among them Oprah Winfrey and other celebrities, filled Cape Town's Greenpoint Stadium for the show, part of Mandela's 46664 campaign to fight AIDS, named after his number when he was imprisoned for his fight against apartheid.\nWith a massive bronzed image of his face as a backdrop, Mandela came on stage dressed in a black shirt with the number emblazoned across his chest.\n"For the 18 years that I was in prison on Robben Island I was supposed to be reduced to that number," Mandela said. "Millions infected with HIV/AIDS are in danger of being reduced to mere numbers if we don't act now. They are serving a prison sentence for life."\nThe concert broadcast live by the South African Broadcasting Corporation's Africa channel and on the Internet is part of an appeal to governments to declare a global AIDS emergency.\nBetween 34 million and 46 million people around the world are infected with HIV, including 5.3 million South Africans -- more than in any other country. The pandemic killed more than 3 million people this year, according to U.N. figures.\nBob Geldof, organizer of the Live Aid concerts that raised millions of dollars for famine victims in Ethiopia in the 1980s, said governments around the world need to make life-prolonging medicines available to all who need them.\n"The condition is medical, but the solution is political, and that is why we are here today," he said.\nBeyoncé urged the world's youth to practice safe sex and use condoms.\n"There is nothing sexier than being confident and taking care of yourself," she said. "Protect yourself."\nThe artists, who also included the Corrs, Anastacia, Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens, and Annie Lennox, performed free Saturday night.\nGabriel and the Soweto Gospel Choir stilled the crowd when they performed "Biko," a tribute to slain anti-apartheid icon Steve Biko.\nBrian May from the group Queen performed the song "46664," featuring Mandela's voice saying: "The struggle is my life. I will continue to fight."\nMessages from former President Bill Clinton and civil rights activist the Rev. Jesse Jackson were broadcast on a screen at the back of the stage.\nEarlier, Bono and Beyoncé visited \na maternity unit and a childrens' \nhome caring for HIV sufferers in Cape Town's impoverished township, Khayelitsha.\nBono said he was incensed by the suffering of hundreds of thousands of Africans who cannot afford treatment.\n"This is an obscenity," he said. "This is like watching the Jews being put on trains."\nThe 46664 campaign, conceived by Dave Stewart, was put into place in partnership with the Nelson Mandela Foundation, as well as May and Roger Taylor of Queen.\nProceeds are going to the foundation, whose work includes funding research on HIV and AIDS in South Africa and supporting services for sufferers.