City Lights, Holiday Delights

Plan a holiday romp through Bloomington and beyond with our festive guide

Before you head to the warm comforts of home and ring in the new year, roll out the ol' yule log and settle down for some good times in southern Indiana. \nAnd what exactly is a yule log, you may ask? Well, I asked Jeeves from www.askjeeves.com the same question.\nThe results show that this seasonal custom dates back to the 12th century, where the master of the house would place an enormous log of freshly cut wood, justifiably dubbed the yule log, and would be carried into the home with great ceremony. On Christmas Eve, it would be placed in the fireplace and lit with grand delight for all and to protect the home from lightening … and the malevolent powers of the devil. \nA bit extreme in the acts of thwarting the devilish have-tos of the netherworld, but nevertheless a tale to be had and known for all.\nHere in Bloomington, keeping in the tradition of anti-devilish endeavors, there are many festivities to be enjoyed to get the spirit of the season deeply instilled within us all. \nMay I begin with the basics: I ask you first to enjoy the bites upon your nose from Jack Frost and breathe in deep the crisp, cool air of December. It truly encompasses the change of seasons here in Indiana and is a wonderful prelude to the season which spawns the frost and the holiday feeling. \nA walk through campus with the crunch of snow afoot sets the tone for warm thoughts and true holiday bliss. The snow will cometh, don't worry. However, some students may have different thoughts when it comes to that darn snow.\n"My favorite part about the snow is all the dirt they put on it. My feet just get wet and dirty," graduate student Erich Eschmann says cynically.\nGrabbing the next piece of the holiday spirit is to your own regard. The downtown lights were lit following the celebration of the true prelude to the wonders of winter, Thanksgiving. Take time for a walk under the lights that encompass the quintessential small town holiday feelings harbored within Bloomington's downtown square. Among them you will find the spirit that resides in us all to enjoy the youthful exuberance of throwing snowballs and carrying-on among friends. \nOnce you get tired of throwing those snowballs, try throwing up an evergreen in front of the window to celebrate the times, or even stretch for an imported "lamp of electric sex" a la A Christmas Story if that suits your tastes better. \nThe trees may be found atop a paved lot at your local department store, but I recommend grabbing the ax and heading down to Bloomington's very own tree farm. Twin H Tree Farms, located five miles south of town off Highway 37, hosts marvelous trees ripe for the slicing. But that's killing a tree for the sole purpose of capturing its aroma and adding to your holiday cheer. Buy a plastic one and a scented candle if it bothers you to hack away at the wonders of nature.\nContinuing the outdoor adventure, take advantage of the wonders of winter by heading out to Griffey Lake for the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department's "Wander the Winter Sky" program. Meeting at the boathouse at 7 p.m. Saturday, the event will guide you through a hopefully clear winter sky, highlighting the constellations and reading star charts. The cost is $3.50 per person. \nOn your way back toward the city, but before settling back in at home, lace up your fancy figure skates and take to the ice for this year's Holiday Skate at the Frank Southern Ice Center. \nOn Saturday, from 12:30 to 2:15 p.m., you have your chance to throw up some triple salchows and really impress those little kids as they fly around the rink and threaten your very well-being. The cost is $5 for all ages and will certainly reaffirm your love for footwear with ankle supports. \nWhether it be from the warmth provided by spiked eggnog or your ventures to the many local establishments that provide holiday cheer, there are also plentiful amounts of comfort to be found indoors.\nThe spirit is captured throughout the town as shops, eateries and homes have added their personal touch to the season with lights and religious homage to their personal beliefs. \nWithout having to leave the comforts of home to indulge in the holiday happenings, WFIU is currently featuring their holiday programs on Sunday evenings all the way through New Year's Eve. \nThe Bloomington Playwrights Project is also featuring holiday themed productions throughout the month at their establishment on S. Washington St. Among them are "The Twelve Plays of Christmas" and "Christmas Eve," which run throughout the weekends that remain until Christmas.\nIf music is your fancy, check out the community Christmas party hosted by WFHB on Dec. 20. It will feature the sounds of Tom Roznowski, Mary Janes and others at Vertigo nightclub at 9 p.m. \nUncle Fester's will also be host the original local sounds of The Swell and Run of the Mill tomorrow night, with guarantees of a few holiday jingles and certainties of awesome rock and roll. The sets will be loaded with kickin' jams and intense performances by both of these headlining groups. \n"It will rock you so hard you'll forget about Jesus," IU alum and lead singer of Run of the Mill Chris Isom says.\nJunior Riley Kubly is excited for the upcoming season, as he makes his rounds to the various shows in town. "I've planned to go the holiday show to see The Swell and the other band I haven't heard of."\nWarm your toes tapping along to the sweet sounds and warm your tummies with the sweet elixir at the bar. \nMusic, friends, hopefully a little snow, and of course the picture isn't complete without a trip to see the jolly fatman himself, Santa Claus. \nYou can take a trip out to College Mall, in all its consumerist glory, as Santa is featured daily through Christmas Eve. \nBut, if it's immersion into a winter wonderland you desire, hold out for the snow and head down to Brown County for the copious amount of outdoor holiday adventures that await. \nOn the Fridays and Saturdays that remain in December, a visit with Santa is available for those young at heart who still desire to plop down on an old man's lap with their wishlists. I am sure it won't be uncomfortable or odd for either of you. Just bring a friend with a camera and have at it.\nHoliday horse-drawn carriage rides, holiday hay rides and even a free train ride with Frosty and the elves are ready and waiting for you to hop aboard and hang on with your little mitten clad hands each weekend in December. \nThe Brown County Holiday Festival is in full swing with over 350 specialty shops, a number of seasonal art galleries, carolers and the cornerstone to any winter escapades … hot chocolate. It doesn't get any better than all of that so close and so inviting for the holiday spirit, with the hopes of exuding seasonal delight onto all.\nFollowing your romp in Brown County, head home for some relaxation. Simply flip on the tube and tune in to the holiday movie of your choice. They're in full swing by now, and their ability to never grow old but rather better with age, is a must-do for any afternoon on the couch. \nWhen asked to comment on his plans for his remaining time in Bloomington before heading home for the holidays, senior Mike Huber says, "I prefer to sit on the couch and watch holiday movies in between preparing for my exams." \nReliving Ralphie's escapades each year throughout his small town in Indiana, pulls in as the best of the best. "Wow, that's great." \nAll that remains now is for snow to come. Fall in love with the wondrous white powder that sprinkles a glow onto your windshields and window panes. \nAwaking to a canopy of snow lined trees and untouched roadways should not instill the hate of stirring from your slumber and dreading your existence in this arctic environment. Snatch up your woolies and your long johns and tear into the awaiting wonderland with youthful exuberance. \nNothing beats a tumble in the yard while constructing the world's largest snowman while cleverly misplacing the carrot and coal. \nHappy Holidays.