Bloomington art lovers entertained by annual Downtown Gallery Walk

9 local galleries participate, showcase regional artists' work

As the cold winter winds blew through Bloomington Friday night, courageous art enthusiasts bundled in parkas and scarves and braved the streets to see the talent on display at the nine local galleries participating in the Downtown Gallery Walk. \nIn an attempt to expose the community to the work of local artists, Bloomington holds four Downtown Gallery Walks each year. All of the participating galleries are within walking distance from each other and patrons receive maps so they can go at their own pace to enjoy the work on display at each location. \nWhile looking at pottery on display at By Hand Gallery in Fountain Square Mall, Bloomington resident Ruth Ann McDonald said she enjoyed the gallery walk and other Bloomington arts events like it. \n"It's one of the advantages of living in Bloomington," she said. "It's great to celebrate local artists." \nThe Buskirk-Chumley Theater had the work of stained glass artist Timothy Clougher on display in its Textillery Gallery. Clougher's colorful pieces depict positive symbols from various international cultures. Some of Clougher's work is for sale.\n"Presentation of his work in such a small place is a great idea because it gives people a good idea of how it will look at home," said Carey Smith, a Bloomington resident.\nPhotographer John Bower was at the John Waldron Arts Center answering questions about his new book "Lingering Spirit: A Photographic Tribute to Indiana's Fading, Forlorn, and Forgotten Places" with a foreword by Indiana's former first lady Judy O'Bannon. Bower scoured 10 South Central Indiana counties in search of collapsing barns and houses for his haunting black and white pictures of places that were left behind. \n"I was trying to capture the spirit of what was left there," Bower said. \nHis photographs and book can be seen at www.studioindiana.com.\nThe John Waldron Arts Center is having its Holiday Arts Sale, which includes a collection of handmade arts and fine crafts created by local artists. Elke Pessl, an IU MFA candidate, has a series of photograms and photo-intaglio prints exploring the theme of flight on display in JWAC's Flashlight Gallery. \nThe Bellevue Gallery, a non-profit co-op exhibit located in Bloomington Playwrights Project's lobby, had a group showing of the work of its many local members. A variety of styles were on display, from the abstract colorful paintings of Betty Sander to the Oriental ink drawings of Joanne Shank and B.J. Kish Irvine. \nAfter describing her style as "Chinese Hoosier," Shank explained, "I studied with two different men from China, but I'm not Chinese. I paint what I see, and I'm from Indiana, so it's Hoosier." \nThe group of artists congregated at the Bellevue Gallery, enjoying refreshments and conversation before attending Bloomington Playwright Project's production of David F. Eliet's "Christmas Eve."\nFossil Rain, Natural Wonders and Handcrafted Jewelry featured the work of jewelry designers Bette Conway and Katherine Stinson, who had pieces on display influenced by ancient cultures. Gallery North on the Square, Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts, Gallery West Espresso and the Gallery also participated in the Gallery Walk. Most of the galleries will continue to display the exhibits from the walk until the new year and always have artwork available for public viewing. Further Downtown Gallery Walks have been scheduled for 2004 on April 2, July 9, Oct. 1 and Dec. 3.\n-- Contact staff writer Jenica Schultz at jwschult@indiana.edu