Around The Arts

Independent theater company presents Christmas comedy\nWhat do Jesus, Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, a leprechaun, some disgruntled elves, a lonely woman in a bar and prison inmates all have in common? Bloomington Playwrights Project seems to know. The BPP brings them all together to celebrate the holidays in the twisted production of "The Twelve Plays of Christmas." Twelve hysterical short plays bringing cheer to the masses in this Dark Alley, Late Night Series spin on the holidays. The show plays at 10:30 p.m. today through Saturday and Dec. 18 through 20 at the BPP, 312 S. Washington St. Tickets are $6 for general admission. For more information, visit www.newplays.org. \nAcclaimed Korean percussion group to perform tonight\nTraditional Korean percussion ensemble, SamulNori will perform at 7 p.m. today at the Mathers Museum of World Cultures, 416 N. Indiana Ave. The term SamulNori was first coined in 1978 and describes both the genre of music and the name of the percussion ensemble. The Korean word samul means four things, and nori means to play, hence, SamulNori means "four things playing." Each of the four main instruments -- kwaengwari, jing, janggu and buk -- is associated with one of four elements in nature: lightning, wind, rain or cloud. It is rooted in Buddhist and farmers music, with a style that has evolved over the years.\nEl Mariachi saga continues in latest Banderas flick\nThe Union Board presents "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" at 8 and 11 p.m. tonight through Saturday at the Whittenberger Auditorium in the Indiana Memorial Union. The saga of the mythic guitar-slinging hero The El Mariachi (Antonio Banderas) continues in Robert Rodriguez's bold, non-stop action epic. \nThe new adventure is set against a backdrop of revolution and greed. Haunted and scarred by loss, The El Mariachi (Banderas) has retreated into a life of isolation. He is forced out of hiding by Sands (Johnny Depp), a corrupt CIA agent. Sands recruits the reclusive hero to sabotage a plot by the evil cartel kingpin Barillo (Willem Dafoe), who is planning to assassinate the president of Mexico. The El Mariachi has his own reasons for returning -- retribution and revenge.\nThe film is free with a valid IU student ID or $2 for non-students.\nMathers Museum to unveil new exhibit, honor curator\nThe Mathers Museum of World Cultures will hold a reception for "Behind the Mask: Materials and Meaning" by student curator Christina Conn. This new exhibit opens Friday with the reception at 5:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. \nSlam to feature local, regional masters of written word\nLocal poets will compete in a Matrix Poetry Slam at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Gallery West Espresso, 702 W. Kirkwood Ave. A poetry slam is a fast-paced, three-round verbal battle between both aspiring and established poets. This form of oral expression originated at The Green Mill, a Chicago bar, in the mid 1970s. The sign-up fee is $1 with a $2 suggested donation.