Student dies after street race

Friends remember IU junior who was killed Friday morning

An IU junior was killed early Friday after a 120-mph drag race between students led to two separate wrecks.\nJeffrey Maiatico, 20, was killed east of Bloomington when his roommate, junior Daipayan Banerjee, who was driving the vehicle, lost control of his 1997 Ford Mustang.\nThe crash occurred as Maiatico and Banerjee sped north on Ind. 446, near Moores Pike.\nPolice said Maiatico and Banerjee were racing junior Patrick J. McBride, 21, who was driving a 1995 Caprice.\nBoth drivers lost control of their vehicles at the same time. Banerjee's convertible rolled over, became airborne and struck a tree with enough force to leave marks 15 feet high and propel the battery of the car into the side of a nearby house, police said.\nBanerjee suffered minor injuries, and McBride, who crashed separately, was unharmed. McBride could face misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and being involved in a speed contest, police said.\nJunior Ryan Bradley, who met Maiatico while they were pledging Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity in January 2002, described Maiatico as a personable guy with many friends.\n"He really lived life to the fullest and was always willing to go out and do anything anybody wanted to do," Bradley said.\nHe added that Maiatico volunteered frequently in the Bloomington community.\n"(Jeff) had a little brother through the … Big Brothers/Big Sisters program," Bradley said.\nJeremy Levinson, another junior who knew Maiatico and Banerjee through the fraternity, said he found out about Maiatico's death from friends.\nLevinson said he had never heard either of the roommates mention drag racing before.\nServices for Maiatico will be held in his home state of New Jersey at Christ the King Church in Haddonfield, N.J. There will be a viewing from 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, and Maiatico's funeral will follow at 11 a.m. Thursday.\n-- The Associated Press contributed to this report. Contact staff writer Elise Baker at elimbake@indiana.edu.