Kernan to run for governor

Sen. Vi Simpson to drop out of gubernatorial race

Joe Kernan is set to announce today that he will run for governor in 2004.\nSources close to the governor said Kernan made the decision this week, after intimate discussions with his family.\nHe will make his candidacy official at noon today at the Madame Walker Theatre Center in Indianapolis. \nThursday, Kernan called key political leaders across the state, informing them of his intent to run. \nAmong the first calls Kernan made were to State Senator Vi Simpson (D-Ellettsville) and former Democratic Party Chairman Joe Andrew -- the leading Democratic candidates for governor.\nSimpson's press secretary Jeff Harris said she will withdraw from the campaign and endorse Kernan. Simpson had previously said she would support Kernan if he chose to seek a full term in 2004. \nHer position hasn't changed, Harris said. A formal withdrawal is expected Monday.\nAndrew could not be reached for comment. \nLt. Gov. Kathy Davis is likely to stay on as his running mate. \nNews of Kernan's announcement rallied Democrats across the state, many of whom had hoped his sudden entry into the governor's office would inspire him to toss his hat into the race.\n"People have been holding their breath hoping that Joe would decide to run," said Rep. Peggy Welch (D-Bloomington). "I've said from the beginning I hope he likes his new suit of clothes. I guess he does."\nAs little as three months ago, Kernan maintained he would not seek the state's highest office. But after Gov. Frank O'Bannon died of a stroke Sept. 13, Kernan's plans took a dramatic change. \nWith the support of his wife Maggie, he decided to rethink his decision. \n"Back in December 2002 (when Kernan said he would not run) there was great disappointment," Welch said. "I'm very appreciative of Vi Simpson and Joe Andrew who stepped up to say 'we're going to fill that void and provide leadership.'"\nSources close to the governor said Kernan reconsidered because he felt he was in the right position to "move Indiana forward."\n"I have a much better understanding of the kind of challenges and the opportunities that face the state of Indiana and have determined ... that I want to play a role in helping us achieve those goals that we all share for our state and don't want to watch this from the sidelines," Kernan told The Associated Press.\nIn the two months since Kernan was sworn in as Indiana's 48th governor, he has carved his own reputation as a high-energy and inspirational leader.\nRep. Matt Pierce (D-Bloomington) said Kernan's economic experience will serve him well as he prepares to square off next year against Republican frontrunner Mitch Daniels.\n"Joe is putting together a good vision for Indiana's future, particularly in economic development, which he has been working on for many years now," Pierce said. "His record will compare well to Mitch Daniels when it comes to managing budgets."\nKernan, a native of South Bend, served in the U.S. Navy from 1969 to 1974. He was elected to three terms as mayor of South Bend and served as lieutenant governor under O'Bannon for seven years.\n-- Contact senior writer Adam VanOsdol at avanosdo@indiana.edu.