IU pediatric ophthalmologist receives national humanitarian award

The American Academy of Ophthalmology will present an Outstanding Humanitarian Service Award to Eugene M. Helveston, founding director of the pediatric ophthalmology program at the IU School of Medicine and the James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children. He will receive the award at the group's annual meeting Nov. 15-18.\nSince Helveston, professor emeritus of ophthalmology, retired from regular clinical duties at IU in 1998, he has devoted much of his time to humanitarian work.\nOne his most well-known accomplishments was the development of Cyber-Sight in 1999. Cyber-Sight uses the technology of the Internet and digital photography to provide a continuing consultation program to underdeveloped parts of the world. Helveston has started programs in Cuba, Romania, India, Albania and the Dominican Republic.\nConcert to benefit ill IU employee\nThe Hoosier Bar and Grill, located at 4645 W. Richland Plz., will be holding a night of bands and prizes in order to raise money to benefit Trent Whitaker, a night custodial worker who worked for the IU Health Center. Whitaker suffers from cancer and has been unable to work at the center since March. He received his last paycheck in June. All cover charges from the event, which will be donation only, will benefit Whitaker, his wife and two kids. Raffle tickets will also be sold for $1 with prizes ranging from a soccer ball signed by coach Jerry Yeagley to a one-hour massage donated by Daniel Selvaggi.\nFor more information, contact Dan Swafford at the Hoosier Bar and Grill at 935-6333.\nCampus groups to hold 'One Night in Harlem'\nKappa Alpha Psi, Union Board and Voices of Hope will hold "One Night in Harlem," an evening of comedy and entertainment, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. tonight in the Frangipani Room, Marketplace and Commons of the Indiana Memorial Union. Comedian Spike Davis will perform. For more information, e-mail kappa@indiana.edu.\nLecture to focus on early Russian cinema\nRoman Timenchik, associate professor of Russian and Slavic Studies at the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, will present a lecture on Jewish images in early Russian cinema, from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. tonight, at Ballantine Hall Room 109. For more information call the Institute for Advanced Study at 855-1513 or log on to www.indiana.edu/~ias.