Preparation is key for cross country team

For the IU cross country runners, preparing for competition is just as important as the actual race. The mental buildup before a race is a fine line between getting prepared and not getting too mentally tired.\n"During the bus ride over, I try not to think about my race too much, I try to keep my mind off it," sophomore Stephen Hass said. "I don't want to get too excited early and not be ready to race."\nOften times, the runners travel far distances for meets, whether it is by bus or plane. Traveling is a crucial time where the athletes know what they need to do but don't want to get prepared too early. \n"On the plane or bus ride, I don't really want to get too serious," sophomore Eric Redman said. "I like to keep it more relaxed real early before the race."\nOne way the runners keep relaxed before the race is by listening to music. \n"A long time before the race, I like to listen to something calm, something relaxing," Hass said. "Nothing too intense, I just don't want to get pumped up too early."\nAlthough music is used to help the runners relax, it is also used to pump them up right before the race.\n"Right before the race, I listen to something that is more upbeat, something that will get me ready to run," sophomore Sean Jefferson said. "Lately I have been listening to Pink Floyd a lot before races, especially the song 'Time.'"\nAlthough Jefferson likes to listen to rock songs before races, his teammate Hass prefers rap to get him fired up.\n"Right before a race I always listen to rap to get me ready to run," Hass said. "I always listen to Biggie's CD 'Life After Death,' and I also listen to Jay-Z, especially the song 'I Will Not Lose.'"\nMost of the runners use their own individual methods to prepare for big meets. They know their coach has prepared them to run. \n"Coach Chapman really does not have to say much before a race," Hass said. "We know what we have to go out there and do and we know we are ready."\nThe team put in many miles over the summer and now, into the school year, each runner knows what he has to do to be successful on that certain day. \n"Coach (Chapman) gives us a good race plan to follow, and reassures us about our training and our fitness," Hass said. "A good race plan to follow takes some pressure off so you know what you need to do."\nThe Hoosiers compete this weekend in Bangor, Maine, for the Murray Keating Invitational. \n-- Contact staff writer Alex Witteveld at pawittev@indiana.edu.