Pipkens earns Big Ten honors

Freshman one of few women named to Dream Big program

Among the many freshmen making contributions to the women's soccer team this season, one is already being recognized by the Big Ten for her accomplishments on and off the field. Freshman forward Megan Pipkens has made an impact wherever she has gone, having become a starter already for the Hoosiers early in the season.\nNow, Pipkens has been recognized by the Big Ten, becoming one of the few women to be named to the Dream Big program. According to the Dream Big Web site, the program aims at bringing attention to girls' involvement in sports and the benefits that the girls receive in life from playing sports.\nIn high school, Pipkens became the first player from Holt, Mich., to earn the honor of Miss Soccer, something she says is traditionally reserved for players from the Detroit area. Pipkens said she never thought she would win the award.\n"That was the biggest honor of my life," Pipkens said. "I never thought somebody from Holt could win it."\nWhile the transition from high school to college can be tough on some students, Pipkens has adjusted well, having started in all but two of the team's games this season. She recorded her first goal in a 3-0 win over Butler Sept. 12 and hasn't looked back since. Pipkens has totaled four goals and two assists this season, making her second on the team in goals and points. Freshman forward Missy Vierling said Pipkens is a great person on and off the field.\n"On the field she brings a lot of speed," Vierling said. "She's so fast and so skilled, and she can put the ball in the back of the net. Off the field, she's fun to be around, and she's always motivating people. I'm sure she'll be successful in whatever she does."\nIU assistant coach Sara Kloosterman has had the chance to observe Pipkens from the outside since the first day. Kloosterman believes that Pipkens has a lot of potential, and that she could do anything if she realizes her potential.\n"The sky's the limit if she realizes the potential she's got. She can do anything," Kloosterman said.\nPipkens is also part of an Olympic Developmental Team. She said she enjoys being part of the team because she has opportunities to meet new people and experience new things. Pipkens said she credits her parents and coaches for all her success.\n"I definitely give a lot of credit to my parents because they've always been there for me," Pipkens said. "They made a huge commitment to me, having to drive an hour to practice for me in high school so I could do my homework. Everything goes to them and my coaches I've had along the way."\n-- Contact staff writer Cory Steger at csteger@indiana.edu.