Nappy Roots rocks the countryside

The weather was chilly, but the music and performers were so hot that steam literally rose from their heads.\nSponsored by Kilroy's Sports, Chicago's very own 17th Floor and Kentucky's Nappy Roots gave a concert at Pic-a-chic Farms that Clutch from Nappy Roots said was real "nappy."\nTonight there was a lot of love out there," Clutch said. "We had a lot of fun and even though we were out here on this farm it felt good and free."\nProphet of Nappy Roots also said he enjoyed the atmosphere and crowd that Bloomington brought to the concert.\n"It was our first time here and we came in the right way," Prophet said pointing at the countryside surrounding the stage. "We kept it country."\nThe 17th Floor started their show out with a cover of DMX's "Party Up!" Dressed in all white, the band performed a lot of their usual cover songs and really got the crowd going when they ended with a cover of "Get Low." Almost every hand was up in the crowd of a couple thousand when they got to the chorus. \nEven members of Nappy Roots could be found bobbing their heads to the beats of The 17th Floor.\nGT, drummer for The 17th Floor, said they had never met Nappy Roots before, but they looked forward to opening up for them. The 17th Floor sometimes even does a cover of Nappy Roots' "Awnaw."\nThe 17th Floor said they were excited to announce that their first single, "Hold Up" will be released on the radio airwaves soon, and that their first album is expected to be released in January.\nDanny Rosenberg, a junior with Atlantic Records, said the 17th Floor concert was great.\n"We love the 17th Floor," Rosenberg said. "And anytime you open for Nappy Roots you're going to get noticed and get gigs. This will be real good for them."\nBetween shows, the girls of HoosierLife.com and Doc from Indy's Radio Now 93.1 got the crowd pumped and ready for Nappy Roots and threw out t-shirts to the thousands of screaming fans.\nThe weather got colder as the night went on but Nappy Roots came out with a bang and kept things hot. Each wearing a different shirt and an array of hats, their beats and lyrics got the crowd to raise their hands and voices.\n"The crowd was crazy," Prophet said. "Everybody was just out here partying and having a good time. It's the kind of scene we like."\nNappy Roots didn't forget their inspiration during the concert, and had a special song in memory of some of their favorite people like Tupac, Notorious B.I.G., Big Pun, and even for the U.S. soldiers. Earlier this year the group was in Kuwait and performed for the troops.\nNappy Roots hit all the popular singles on Wednesday night like "Roun' The Globe" from their newest album Wooden Leather and "Po Folks" from Watermelon, Chicken and Gritz but saved their first ever single, "Awnaw" for the last song. After performing the album version, they left the crowd with a rock remix of the song.\nThe Grammy nominated group played for a little over an hour and said looked forward to the after party that Atlantic Records was throwing them back in Bloomington Wednesday night after the concert.\nScales said the group likes to play for college crowds so they can reminisce on their own college days. The group likes the fact that college concerts bring people from all over the country.\n"It's a bunch of wholesome kids wanting to have fun," Scales said. "And I can appreciate that"