IFC takes action against Pi Kapps

The Interfraternity Council placed another suspension on Pi Kappa Phi fraternity Tuesday night, preventing it from participating in any IFC-sponsored activity. \nThe University handed down a similar punishment late last week, one week after a pledge was hospitalized with alcohol poisoning.\n"We anticipated it," said Pi Kappa Phi President Mitch Stayer, a senior. "It is the same decision as the University and National Chapter."\nThe fraternity will now wait until a hearing date is set and it receives the official charges against it. Dean of Students Richard McKaig said at that point, the evidence from the investigation will be presented and the Greek Judicial Board will make its recommendation to him. This is the first situation involving the suspension of a fraternity this year.\nSophomore pledge Lucas Temple was hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after an organized fraternity event known as "Big Brother Night." Members of the fraternity, including Stayer, took the student to the hospital early on Oct. 3.\n"It was an extremely unfortunate incident," said IFC President Evan Waldman, a senior. "We do commend (Pi Kapps) for making the right decision and taking the individual to the hospital."\nIU Police Department officers questioned members of the fraternity at the hospital. Members initially claimed to not know where the student came from, but the members of the fraternity returned to the police the next day to turn themselves in, Stayer said.\n"We understood that in taking the individual to the hospital, we would be susceptible to repercussions," Stayer said. "We want to spread awareness about situations like this. We fear that others would think twice about taking someone to the hospital. If I had to do it all again, I would respond the same way."\nWaldman said the focal points discussed included the manner in which the fraternity handled the situation, its willingness to comply with officials and its prior record in the greek community. All of these factors played into the decision-making process, he said.\nWaldman said Pi Kappa Phi has had a positive influence on the community in the past. This summer its Bloomington chapter won best chapter out of more than 140 national chapters, he said.\nWaldman said further punishment beyond suspension was not chosen because of its history in community.\n"We have been a strong leader on campus for many years, and last year we ranked second in GPA," Stayer said. "Our strong reputation will help us get through this, and we are looking forward to being able to return to philanthropy and leadership positions on campus."\nWaldman said the fraternity has been proactive in addressing the situation.\n"Pi Kappa Phi has such a strong reputation with the Interfraternity Council, the IU community and their national greek organization," he said.\n-- Contact staff writer Brian Janosch at bjanosch@indiana.edu.