French jazz group visits IU

Flamenco, Stevie Wonder, Definitely Django Reinhardt, the B-52's and G-Love and the Special Sauce.\nSomewhere in this clamor of influences and band member favorites rings the sound of Paris Combo, which will play a free show at 8 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium. The "retro-cabaret" quintet, named in the mode of small French jazz "combinations," has been rocking the French world music scene since 1994.\n"They are always invited back, sometimes before the first set ends," said Paris Combo Manager Bill Smith of Eye for Talent, their American concert booking agent. "They have been very successful at bridging the cultural gap, even when the audiences have been accustomed to hearing music only in English."\nParis Combo's third trip to Bloomington comes in a sabbatical year for them -- no recording or tours except for two short American ones.\n"It's hard to evolve when you're on the road all the time," said Paris Combo trumpeter and pianist David Lewis. "You have to let changes happen naturally."\nLewis, an Australian who studied music in Sweden and then Paris and played trumpet in Cameroonian jazz legend Manu Dibango's band, met singer Belle du Berry while they were both performing at a theatrical, clown-filled cabaret show.\nThe guitarist Potzi emulates cripple-handed, gypsy, jazz guitarist innovator Reinhardt's look and musical style. Madagascaran bassist Mano and drummer Francois up the rhythm section. Since 1994, Paris Combo has put out three studio albums: Living Room, Paris Combo, and Attraction, and one live album, Live.\n"We always try to book Paris Combo," said Lee Williams, executive/artistic director of Lotus Fest. "They are sweet people to deal with, they would have been the most popular group at this year's Lotus Fest."\nUnfortunately for Lotus Fest, the group's October tour did not start until after the end of the festival. \n"At this point of the year, we're usually resting from the bigness of the festival," Williams said. \nYet, with the 10th anniversary of the festival and the opportunity to book a popular international act, Williams and Luanne Holladay, administrative director of Lotus Festival, contacted Dean Gwyn Richards of the IU School of Music who funded the use of the IU Auditorium for a one-night free show.\n"Dean Richards made this show possible," Williams said.\nConcert-goers do not need to reserve their seats, just show up early.\n-- Contact staff writer Mike Carey at mecarey@indiana.edu.