Cubs avenge Game 1 loss; Red Sox steal opener

Chicago clobbers Florida 12-3 at home

CHICAGO -- Once the ball flew off Sammy Sosa's bat and soared toward the juniper bushes in dead center field, there was no telling how far it might go.\nAnd if he keeps hitting like this, there's no telling how far he might take these Chicago Cubs.\nThe Cubs put on a startling display of raw power at the plate and on the mound Wednesday night, and behind Mark Prior overwhelmed the Florida Marlins 12-3 to even the National League championship series after two games.\nAlex Gonzalez homered twice and Aramis Ramirez also connected for the Cubs. But once again, Sosa woke up Wrigley Field.\nA day after he tied the game with a two-out, two-run shot in the ninth for his first postseason home run, he hit a two-run drive in the second inning that went even farther. By a lot.\nSosa launched a 495-foot shot that cleared the ivy-covered wall, sailed over the shrubbery that serves as a batter's backdrop and threatened to fly completely out of the park. Only a television camera booth kept the ball from becoming a street souvenir.\nTeammate Kenny Lofton, who was on second base, shuddered as he turned around to watch it go. Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre didn't even bother to move.\nComing off his two-hit gem in the opening round against Atlanta, Prior was good enough. Of course, being handed an 11-0 lead after five innings helped the 23-year-old keep his composure.\nNow, the best-of-seven series shifts to Pro Player Stadium for Game 3 Friday night. While the Marlins are one of baseball's best home teams, the Cubs must like their chances with Kerry Wood pitching against Mark Redman.\nWood pitched a two-hitter and a three-hitter against the Marlins this year, striking out a total of 20, and is 4-0 against them lifetime.