Big Ten season takes team East

Five match winning streak on tap as team travels to Ohio and Penn.

This weekend IU's women's volleyball team travels east as they continue their run through the Big Ten schedule. The Hoosiers raced out of the gates last weekend sweeping both Iowa and then-ranked No. 18 Minnesota to kick off the Big Ten season. \n"It was a good start for us," senior Monique Pritz. "And it gave us a lot of confidence going into these next two games."\nThe Hoosiers have won five consecutive matches, dating back to their victories in the IU Credit Union Invitational, and have won an impressive nine straight games. \nBut as the Big Ten season drags on, their schedule becomes tougher. Friday night, IU will travel to Columbus, Ohio to battle Ohio State (7-5, 0-2). Last year, the Hoosiers went 1-1 against the Buckeyes, beating the Buckeyes when they were ranked No. 11 in the country.\nAfter playing in Columbus on Friday night, the team will be looking to knock off yet another No. 11 team. Saturday night the Hoosiers will make their way to State College, Penn. to face off against Penn State. The Nittany Lions (13-1, 2-0) traveled to Michigan last weekend and left the state with victories over both Michigan and Michigan State. Penn State has long been one of the traditional powers in the Big Ten, and are always near the top in attendance for the Big Ten.\n"Penn State can be pretty tough to play at since they are traditionally one of the best volleyball programs in the country," senior Nikki Hill said. "It's a lot different when everyone is cheering against you and not for you, but it's just one of the games where we're just going to have to focus a little harder."\nPlaying on the road in the Big Ten is a unique situation for all eleven of the conference's volleyball programs. Teams arrive on Thursday night to play a match Friday night and then are gone that night off to play another opponent the following evening, many times in a different state. \n"That's the beauty of the Big Ten, every weekend is tough," said coach Katie Weismiller. "Our road trips are tough. We have to go on the road now, and play at their packed house. I think this team out of all the years, that this team is the most prepared and ready to do that. We know character is built on the road."\nThe Hoosiers are led by senior Melissa Brewer and juniors Christina Archibald, Katie Pollom and Victoria Zimmerman.\nZimmerman ranks third in the Big Ten averaging 13.33 assists per game and spear heads the Hoosier attack, allowing Brewer, Archibald and Pollom to pile up high kill numbers. Archibald is second in the conference with 227 kills and ranks second in the league averaging 4.45 kills per game. Archibald has been a steadying force for the Hoosiers all year and has recorded double-digit kills in 24 consecutive matches. \nWith last weekend's dominating play against the Hawkeyes and Golden Gophers, the Hoosiers have an opportunity to start conference play with a 4-0 record and set the tone for the rest of the season.\n"A 4-0 start would be huge," Hill said. "I don't know if our program has ever started 4-0 in a Big Ten season. That would just set up the rest of the season perfectly."\n-- Contact staff writer Matt Glenesk at mglenesk@indiana.edu