Auction to benefit construction of Jill's House

The Bloomington Board of Realtors will hold an auction to benefit the construction of Jill's House, a recovery facility for patients of the Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute, at noon this Saturday, Oct. 4. The auction will begin after the completion of the Jill Behrman Run for the End Zone, the annual run held to raise funds for Jill's House and the Jill Behrman Scholarship Fund. \nBehrman was an IU freshman when she went missing May 31, 2000. Her body was recovered March 13, 2003 -- the case is still under investigation. \nRegistration opens at 10:30 a.m. for anyone interested in bidding at the auction, which will be in the Mellencamp Pavilion. \n"(At the auction) there is something for everyone," said Celeste McGregor of the Bloomington Board of Realtors. "There will be all kinds of items; small money things, antiques, gift certificates, and the big item -- a 2004 Harley Davidson Sportster Roadster."\nMcGregor, along with several co-workers, formed a committee last year to help raise funds for Jill's House, which organizers hope to break ground on in March of 2004. With so many donations, the committee is hoping to raise thousands of dollars this weekend. \n"The community has been so generous," McGregor said. "This couldn't have happened without support from everyone involved. It has really been a community, Indiana University, Jill's House, and Bloomington Board of Realtors effort."\nThere will be hundreds of items to auction off, including a denim jacket autographed by John Mellencamp, a 1981 championship team autographed basketball, art work from local artists and gift certificates donated from Lowe's Hardware Store, O'Charley's Restaurant, Kinko's Copies, hair salons and several other vendors. \nThe Harley Davidson Roadster, donated by Harley Davidson of Bloomington, is the most expensive item in the auction.\nThe Bloomington Board of Realtors will auction off recreational items such as hot air balloon rides, a 48-inch JVC high definition television and two free hours of entertainment featuring the "Not-too-bad Bluegrass Band" at a personal event. \nWith so many items to auction, a large turnout is anticipated. \n"There are 1,500 runners, so that number is looming out there," McGregor said. "We would love for every (runner) to bring a friend."\nWhen the House is finished, it will be a facility to provide home-like care for those being treated for cancer. \n"It will be such a great facility -- a loving, caring environment where people understand each other and are going through the same thing," McGregor said. \nJill's House organizers are thankful that McGregor and others are putting on the auction.\n"The Bloomington Board of Realtors has been awesome helping us out," said Peg Howard, president of Jill's House. "They really want to see this house go up."\nHoward said several upcoming fundraisers are planned to benefit construction of the house, including an Antique Showcase on Oct. 18, which will be similar to the popular PBS television show "Antique Roadshow." \n"There are a lot of enthusiastic people, and a lot of funding coming in," Howard said. "Hopefully we will reach our goal soon."\n-- Contact staff writer Lee Cleary at lgcleary@indiana.edu.