Around The Game

Swimming and diving places 3rd at SMU Classic\nThe women's swimming and diving team wrapped up the weekend Saturday at the SMU Classic with a third-place finish. IU finished the classic with 252 points, behind No. 2 Florida and No. 5 SMU. \nFlorida won the event with a total score of 360.5, ahead of SMU, which had 330 points to finish off its weekend. IU began the meet Friday with a fourth-place finish in the 400-yard freestyle relay. The team consisted of freshman Leila Vaziri, seniors Meghan Medendorp and Erin Gorlesky, and junior Erin Smith. Their total time was 3:28.15, and Vaziri's opening split time 51.45 was eighth best in school history.\nSenior Brooke Taflinger also had a good showing at the SMU classic. She finished third in the 200-yard breaststroke. She also finished second in the 400-yard individual medley. \nIU only took one diver -- freshman Lindsay Weigle. She took fourth in the three meter spring board with a score of 248.90. Also the women's team took third at the Indiana Intercollegiates in West Lafayette. IU had two winners in freshman Annica Lofstedt in the 100-yard butterfly, and sophomore Kristen Bradley in the 200-yard individual medley. Loftsedt also took second in the 50-yard freestyle.\nThe relay team's finish was nearly a victory as they were only five-tenths of a second off the lead. IU will come back home to face No.17 Notre Dame at 4 p.m. Thursday.

Volleyball drops 2 matches in Illinois\nThe Hoosiers were able to win just one game in their two-match road trip through Illinois, losing 30-24, 30-20, 30-26 to Northwestern Friday, and 30-13, 27-30, 30-21, 30-16 to Illinois Saturday.\nIU coach Katie Weismiller gave a few of her younger players opportunities to showcase their talents over the weekend as sophomore middle blocker Mandy Eberle made her first start against Northwestern, and freshman setter Tasha Arsenych got her first start against Illinois.\nThe two younger Hoosiers took advantage of their first career starts as Eberle had a game-high four kills to start the match and finished with five overall. Arsenych also gave a glimpse into the future of IU volleyball with 42 assists, six digs and three block assists.\nJunior outside hitter Christina Archibald and senior middle blocker Melissa Brewer each got into the double digits in kills in both games, and the two teamed up with junior middle Katie Pollom for 38 kills and 13 block assists against Illinois. Senior outside hitter Monique Pritz also accounted for six kills in the Illinois match.\nThe Hoosiers follow their trip through Illinois with a trip through Michigan next weekend, as IU goes up against Michigan State Friday and faces the Wolverines Saturday. The Hoosiers lost to both of the Michigan schools at home earlier this year and sit at 2-8 in the Big Ten and 9-12 overall.

Field hockey loses close match in home finale\nThe IU women's field hockey team suffered two close losses this weekend, as the Hoosiers fell in double overtime Saturday to Ohio State 2-1 and lost Sunday 2-0 to Louisville. \nIn Saturday's game, neither team was able to score in the first half, as a shot was not recorded until 10 minutes into the game. IU was outshot 9-5 and obtained two penalty corners to Ohio State's five in the first period.\nIn the second half, Ohio State's Jenee Doto recorded the first goal of the game on an open net at 39:10, assisted by Florencia Stier. Ohio State's Lucy Clayton received a yellow card at the 56-minute mark to put the Buckeyes down a player for seven minutes. IU was able to capitalize on the opportunity, as sophomore Nikki Orciuch scored an unassisted goal to tie the game at 63:00. It was Orchiuch's fourth goal of the season.\nThe Hoosiers and Buckeyes were unable to score in the first overtime, however the Buckeyes came out strong in the second overtime as Clayton capitalized on the Buckeyes' second penalty corner in the period to win the game.\nOn Sunday, the Hoosiers were looking for a win in their final home game of the season. Unfortunately, the Cardinals got on the board just minutes before the half as Desire' Miller reached the back of the net giving the Cardinals a 1-0 lead. The Cardinals added their second goal with just a minute left in the game as Kim Hughes scored the final goal of the game for Louisville. \nIU travels to Iowa City, Iowa, next weekend where it will face No. 10 Iowa at 2:30 p.m. Friday, and the defending national champs, No. 1 Wake Forest, at 1 p.m. Saturday.