Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

F-Zero thwarts Nintendo's trend of easy games

F-ZERO GX

Nintendo's new futuristic racer, "F-Zero GX," while shimmering on the outside, may frustrate gamers upon closer inspection. The game boasts outstanding graphics and exhilaratingly fast-paced gameplay, beautifully updating the traditional F-Zero experience to next-generation console standards. \nIncluding a number of unlockable extras, "F-Zero GX" has plenty of prizes to work for -- and work you will if you wish to unlock any of these rewards as this game is incredibly challenging. After six or seven repetitions of completing two out of three laps in the lead, only to watch your craft zip out of a tube and plummet through the missing half of a half-pipe, you will undoubtedly begin to wonder if the game's designers had a grudge.\nThe dilemma of "F-Zero GX" is that while most games equally difficult are easily dismissed as not being worth the headache, the frustration invoked by "F-Zero GX" might just be tolerable. Its arcade and active racing style, requiring gamers to do more than simply drive around in a circle holding down the gas button, definitely has an allure, but whether its worth the price of replacing your GameCube after you've cast it down a flight of stairs in a fit of rage is probably a question worthy of renting the game first to answer.