Distance runs spell win

In a tight contest, the No. 21 men's track and field team was able to use late run to push past Big Ten rival Purdue. The team defeated Purdue by seven points with a final score of 105-98.\nThe two teams bear a great deal of contrast: the Hoosiers controlling the distance events and Purdue winning the sprints. The teams matched evenly in the field and hurdling events.\nThe highlight of the meet was senior Adam Judge in the hammer throw. With a winning throw of 221 feet 7-inches, Judge broke his own school record for the third time this season and also earned the fourth best mark in the nation this season for the event.\nAlso with a dominant performance at the meet was sophomore All-American Aarik Wilson, easily winning both the triple and long jump. His 25-feet 6.25-inch jump in the long jump was almost a foot in front of second place in the event, and he defeated the field by almost four feet in the triple jump. Wilson will have two weeks to rest before he heads to the Big Ten Championships where he said he hopes to set himself up for a run at a national title.\nThe Jefferson twins, sophomore John and redshirt freshman Sean, continued their dominant spring. Sean cruised to a victory in 1500 meters with a time of 3:52.1 as the Hoosiers swept the event. Later in the meet, Sean came back to finish second behind John as they finished in a time of 1:51.21 and 1:52.55. John's time narrowly missed the NCAA regional provisional mark in event. Both have already met their marks in both 1500m and 5000m.\n"These guys have been so good," distance coach Robert Chapman said. "Basically, 90 percent of my job with these two has been to not wreck the van on the way to the meet and get them to the starting line on time."\nAlso earning victories for the Hoosiers were junior Pat Miller in the javelin, junior Ryan Sarbinoff in 400 meters, junior Daniel Martin in the 400m hurdles, freshman Stephen Haas in 5000m, the 4x100 relay and the 4x400 relay. Sarbinoff was forced all the way out to lane nine to out kick Purdue's Shaun Guice in the 4x400.\n"I really wasn't sure if we could take them in the dual meet format," junior Tom Burns said. "We're much better in the big meets, and at Big Tens we should be able to get them."\nPurdue outscored the Hoosiers at the indoor Big Ten Championships where they placed third over IU's fifth place finish. Both teams have aspirations to catch favorites Minnesota and Wisconsin at the outdoor championships.\nNext weekend, the team returns home for the Billy Hayes Invitational, their final tune-up before the Big Ten Championships from May 16 to 18 at University of Minnesota.