Final candidates interviewed

Presidential search committee completes last stage; trustees begin to discuss and vote

The presidential search committee has interviewed its candidates for IU's next president and the final nominees have been submitted to the IU board of trustees.\nThe trustees began to discuss the candidates Tuesday, as the search for IU's next president moves into its final stage. \nThe 15-member committee met in executive session for three days last week at the Westin O'Hare Hotel outside Chicago. During the meeting, the committee interviewed candidates that interested it out of the initial pool of over 200 candidates submitted. \nSteve Ferguson, vice president of the board of trustees and presidential search committee chair, said earlier he expected the pool of candidates to be interviewed to range from seven to 15, but Ferguson would not reveal how many candidates were actually interviewed. \nFerguson said the committee spent nearly two hours with each candidate and then spent a half hour to an hour discussing each of them. \nThe interviews consisted of a variety of questions, brainstormed before the interviews, Ferguson said.\n"Each member has their own concerns," he said. "The faculty members ask more about academic affairs, while others ask about administrative."\nIn addition, Ferguson said the interviews were helpful in informing the candidates about IU.\n"It was an opportunity for them to find out more about us," he said. "That helps to narrow down which candidates seriously want the job."\nFerguson said the candidates are a strong pool so far.\n"We have an experienced pool of candidates," he said. "We have a nice balance of gender and minority, which the trustees wanted, so I am very confident about them."\nAfter the interviews, the committee submitted names to Baker-Parker, the search consulting firm assisting in the process. The search firm then contacted the candidates to see if they were still interested.\nNext, the trustees took control of the process, as they met in executive session at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the trustees office at the Indiana Memorial Union. \nFerguson said the trustees were informed of the candidates and provided with all necessary information. The trustees were able to ask any questions and discuss the candidates. \nFerguson said the process is still on schedule and the tentative July 1 deadline to announce a new president will most likely be met.\n"I think the deadline seems very reasonable," president of the board of trustees Fred Eichhorn said. "But we in no way want to rush the process."\nFerguson said the presidential search committee is finished with its duties unless the trustees decide there are not any qualified candidates within the pool and ask the committee to continue to search or provide new candidates. Ferguson said the committee would also consider any candidates that the trustees felt very strongly about, at any point in the process.\nThe trustees will now arrange interviews of their own, but Ferguson said he could not say when they will be. Interview dates will depend on the availability of the trustees and the candidates.\nFollowing interviews, the trustees will discuss candidates and vote on a final president for IU.\nIU spokesperson Bill Stephan said the trustees will not be able to discuss the possible candidates due to confidentiality.\n"We have to keep everything confidential because many of the candidates are currently working at other places," Stephan said.