Team goes to Florida for first tourney

IU co-hosts Big Red Classic, weather expected to cooperate

When the fall portion of the IU men's golf team's season ended, they were looking forward to a winter of weight lifting, conditioning and working on their putting. \nBut due to the intense snow that has blanketed Bloomington, the squad only accomplished two of their three goals. Restricted to indoor practices for all but one day since the spring season started on Jan. 7, the team will appreciate the opportunity to play on grass for only the second time this winter.\nThe Hoosiers travel to Ocala, Fla., this weekend as they co-host the Big Red Classic with state rival Ball State. \n"This was a difficult winter because of the weather," coach Mike Mayer said. "We have not been able to get outside."\nWith the weather supposed to be in the low 80's all weekend long, the men will be relieved of the dismal winter here at IU.\nThe 18 team field will play at the 6,625 yard, par-72 Lake Diamond Golf and Country Club in Ocala. \n"The golf course will be in good shape, and the greens will be fast," senior captain Ben Davidson. "It is a placement course, meaning you have to use your head, and you can't use the driver off every tee."\nParticipating in the tournament besides IU and host Ball State are: Akron, Austin Peay, Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, IUPUI, James Madison, Kent State, Miami (Ohio), No. 24 Michigan State, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ohio, North Carolina-Greensboro, William and Mary, Wright State and Xavier. \n"This is one of the tougher fields we'll play this season," Mayer said. "These are teams who have won tournaments, and have had good seasons."\nMayer and his club are looking to shoot among the lowest teams this weekend, and the coach will be relying a lot on Davidson. \n"He plays an important part in what happens to this program," Mayer said.\nAlong with Davidson the squad is looking for help among their upper classmen specifically seniors Mike Miller and Aldo Jordan, both whom played integral parts in their fall season, and juniors Ryan Cassidy and Kirk Wood. \nHowever the Hoosiers will be looking to their star sophomore class of Jeff Overton and Heath Peters for low rounds and high finishes throughout the spring. To complement the two second year players, freshmen Scott Seibert and Brad Marek are expected to compete among the conference's best this season.\n"The fall was a time to experiment," Mayer said. "We need to find our five best golfers, and the sooner we establish that, the better we'll be." \nAs of right now IU's strength lies in their power which according to Mayer will not be of help this weekend. \n"I am somewhat at a disadvantage because I can't hit driver off every hole," Peters said. "I'll need to take a different approach and use my course management skills and not to mention my head."\nMayer said the course will give the team more trouble than expected.\n"There is too much trouble left and right on this course," he said. "We have to manage our game"