Newton huge in Hoosier win

Where in Assembly Hall was senior Jeff Newton when Iowa went on a 21-6 run to get back in the game Saturday night?\nThe forward was sitting on the bench with a towel over his lap, his jersey untucked, just watching as the Hawkeyes gave the Hoosiers a scare in the waning minutes of regulation.\nIowa had battled back from 15 down and was not far away from taking the lead when, with just more than four minutes left to play, Newton was done sitting the bench. After unsuccessfully trying to get IU coach Mike Davis' attention, Newton stood up and decided he was going to put himself back in the game.\nNot a bad decision, considering Newton almost immediately found himself on the foul line for the first of four times. That and the fact that he was able to hurt the Hawkeyes by getting their big men in foul trouble helped IU (17-10, 7-7 Big Ten) to pick up a 91-88 overtime win.\n"I couldn't wait anymore. I knew I was going to have to wait until the final minutes of the game, but I couldn't sit there anymore," Newton said. "I hate to sit out. That's why I rarely try to foul that quick in the first half, but unfortunately I got quick fouls."\nWith less than three minutes into the game and Iowa (14-11, 6-8) up with a small early lead, Newton picked up his first foul. With 6:28 left in the first half, Newton picked up his second foul and was put on the bench for the remainder of the first half.\nIn 14 minutes of play, Newton had two fouls, one rebound, one turnover, one block and a mere six points. It appeared that Newton was not going to be the dominating player for IU. The lone highlight was that his single first half block made him IU's all-time leader in blocked shot with 214.\n"He walks up and says 'Coach, my fault, I'm not giving you all I have,'" Davis said. "And I'm like 'We only have three games left in the season, and we need all three so I would love you to play the first minute of the game.'"\nNewton only got 11 more minutes of play in the entire game, but that proved to be enough. He opened the second half in a similar fashion as the first by picking up a quick early foul with 19:43. He wasted no time getting a fourth foul, waiting just about a minute until picking up his fourth.\nThe second half was a mere two minutes old when Newton once again returned to the bench. He would not return again until the Hoosiers had let the game get out of their hands, giving the Hawkeyes the opportunity for the win.\nDavis said following the game that he had forgotten all about Newton on the bench. His focus was arguably on the double-digit lead IU had squandered and the possibility of yet another loss. So with 4:44 left in regulation, Newton put himself back on the floor. For a player having a less than spectacular game and spending more time on the bench than the floor, Newton single-handedly led IU into the overtime.\n"He had foul trouble early, so he really wasn't a factor from the beginning," freshman guard Bracey Wright said. "But down the stretch we knew we had to go inside to get their big men in foul trouble, and the last four or five minutes, he was where we wanted to go."\nAnd that's exactly what happened. Newton made seven of his eight free throw attempts, tying the score three times before his miss. In overtime, Newton performed similarly. He was unable to be aggressive on the defensive end but made up for it offensively by picking up seven of his 20 total points. \nEarlier in the day he and teammate junior forward A.J. Moye bought the latest Nike Jordans and wore them in the game. So was it the Jordans that led to Newton's late game resurgence?\n"It might be the shoes," Newton said smiling after the game. "I think it's the shoes"