Candidates vie for IU's top position

List of applicants compiled by firm's research, suggestions

Many qualified candidates, from academia and the private sector, have shown interest in becoming IU's next president, said Stephen Ferguson, vice president of the board of trustees and chair of the presidential search committee. \nDuring the board of trustees meeting Friday, Ferguson revealed that Baker-Parker, the consulting firm hired to aid the committee, has contacted over 152 people who have been nominated for IU's top position. \n"This is an extremely rewarding search because Indiana University is an outstanding institution," Jerry Baker of Baker-Parker said. \nCandidates were compiled from the search committee, from the consulting firm's research and suggestions from the general public.\nFerguson said the names suggested so far reflect a diverse, highly qualified pool of candidates.\n"I think you'll be very pleased by the quality of the applicants," Ferguson said.\nFerguson revealed that of the 152 candidates so far, 137 currently work in universities, while some of the remaining 15 are affiliated with national organizations such as research groups. Of the collegiate choices, 81 are working at public universities, 56 at private universities, 91 are sitting presidents or chancellors and 46 are provosts or deans.\nFerguson added that 25 are women, with ages ranging from the late 40s to early 60s, and ethnicity was not yet identified, but at least nine candidates are black or Hispanic. Most of the candidates are from the United States, but several were located in Canada and Europe. \nBaker-Parker continues to accept nominations until Feb. 14, when the presidential search committee will discuss potential candidates. \n"We expect to have a much better sense of who the candidates are by then," Ferguson said. "But even at this early stage, we're excited by the quality of the names that have been put forward." \nFollowing that meeting, the committee will convene in early March to select candidates to interview. Interviews are expected to begin in April and continue later in the spring. Currently, Ferguson said he expects the committee to announce the selection of the new president July 1.\nNew IUPUI Chancellor\nWhile the Board discussed possible candidates for one IU leadership role, they also voted on the recipient of another position. Also on Friday, the board of trustees unanimously approved the appointment of Charles Bantz as new chancellor of IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, beginning June 1. \n"I'm honored and look forward to a wonderful career with IU," Bantz said.\nBantz, who will also serve as vice president for long range planning, was nominated earlier this month by Interim President Gerald Bepko, who previously served in the same position.\nBepko said Bantz's resume was impressive, having served as provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Wayne State University and vice provost and director of university continuous improvement at Arizona State University.\n"When we look to other universities, we try to get the best," Bepko said. "I think that is exactly what we've done here."\nWilliam Plater, who was appointed Interim Chancellor last month, will continue to serve until Bantz begins work this summer. \nStrategic Plan Completed\nFred Cate, chair of the Strategic Planning Committee, and IUB Chancellor Sharon Brehm, revealed the final draft of the University's new mission and values statement.\nThe statement, which was approved eight days before its Feb. 1 deadline, spells out strategic priorities of IU. The document emphasizes embracing diversity, rewarding innovation and risk-taking and ensuring accountability.\nCate made sure to emphasize this statement is meant to define priorities for the University, not tell the trustees which programs to fund. \n"We made sure not to distinguish who gets what funding," Cate said. "We simply made guidelines for the trustees to consider."\nCate said the committee will continue to meet twice a month to discuss the document. \n"Strategic plans are meant to evolve and change," Brehm said. "I suggested that we review it once a year and in about three to five years we may be creating a new plan."\nThe trustees showed favorable responses to the mission and values statement. \n"It's an impressive document that will help guide the University," President of the board of trustees Fred Eichhorn said.