University unveils mission statement

On Friday, the Strategic Planning Committee released its preliminary draft of the new mission and values statement for the Bloomington campus, outlining the campus's goals and values, which IUB Chancellor Sharon Brehm said will help guide the campus's decisions in the upcoming years. \n"The reason you do a mission statement in any organization is because you want a way to articulate the goals and values of the campus," Brehm said.\nAmong the priorities noted in the draft are promoting diversity, developing the arts, supporting University research and to "articulate and strive for the highest standards of academic excellence and integrity."\nIn order to finalize the statement by Feb. 1, the planning committee, along with the Bloomington Faculty Council, will host a forum at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday in the Moot Court Room to discuss which values are of most importance to the campus. The court room is on the first floor of the law school.\nBrehm said she wanted to stress the importance of campus input in creating the new mission statement and encourages students to attend the meeting. \n"I think it is important to get input and opinions from the entire campus community," said Jane Rogan, committee member of the Liberal Arts and Management Program. "Their opinions can only help us make better decisions."\nSo far in the process, representatives from different schools on the Bloomington campus have researched mission statements of other universities and discussed which qualities are most important to IUB. \n"We don't want something too broad or too narrow," said Bonnie Brownlee, committee member of the School of Journalism. "A mission statement should provide a focus for the whole campus."\nBrehm said previous mission statements of the University are also being used for consideration. \nOne of those Brehm noted is a 1994 resolution by the IU board of trustees for each campus of IU. Brehm said although this resolution was brief, it is being used as a foundation for the new mission statement. \nBrehm also discussed the Strategic Directions mission statement developed over five years ago. She said it was time to update the priorities of the Bloomington campus. \n"The last strategic plan for the campus was in 1996," she said. "Now it is important to create a new strategic plan because there hasn't been one in a while. Also, I am a new chancellor and it is very useful to me in developing plans for the campus."\nBrehm said that although the economic condition of the state is not the deciding factor in creating the mission and values statement, it will assist administrators in prioritizing funding for the campus. \n"Even if there wasn't a Commitment to Excellence in Education project, we would still have developed a new strategic plan," she said. "But since there are economic troubles with the state budget, it is an effective tool to ensure that tuition dollars are invested wisely."\nBrehm said she predicts this new strategic plan will be adjusted as time goes on. \n"Strategic plans are meant to evolve and change," Brehm said. "I suggested that we review it once a year and in about three to five years we may be creating a new plan."\nFor more information and a full report on the mission and value statement of the campus, go to www.iub-chancellor.indiana.edu/strategic_plan/. The committee can also be e-mailed at iubspc@indiana.edu.