City ready for more of winter

Plenty of sand, salt still available for roads

The chirping of singing birds and the drip-drip of melting snow heard during Tuesday's warmer weather deceived anyone who thought winter could finally be on its way out.\nToday's early hours were expected to bring another flurry of fresh, fluffy snow, and in some parts of the state, freezing rain.\nThe Weather Channel predicted light snow this morning. Rain is predicted to fall again Friday, but a 41 degree high temperature, which should prevent rain from freezing, is also expected.\nAlthough there has been an abundance of winter precipitation this season, Bloomington's Public Works Department, which is responsible for clearing streets and sprinkling the ground with sand and salt, has not felt a strain.\nPublic Works Director John Freeman said he believes the department has adequately tackled each round of snow and ice and says it is prepared for future battles against Mother Nature. \n"I think we're doing a good job," Freeman said. "Our street department has been out every time we've needed them." \nSuppliers for the Public Works Department bring additional doses of sand and salt weekly, or every other week, depending on need. The salt is stored in a Henderson Street dome that holds over 3,000 tons. It's extracted when the white stuff accumulates.\nDespite an increased need for sand and salt, Freeman says the department has not exceeded its yearly budget. It has used finances left over from the mild 2001-2002 winter to purchase extra supplies for this year. He says there is plenty of sand and salt available. \n"I just think they're meeting the needs as they arise. This year, the demands are greater," said Beth Hollingsworth, president for the Board of Public Works.\nHollingsworth says the Public Works Department has not had to hire any additional workers. \n"We always try to budget for what would be a worse case scenario, so really, we're doing good," Hollingsworth said.\nAll the salt and sand available does not prevent falls from occurring. A nursing supervisor at Bloomington Hospital said the emergency unit normally sees a rise in the number of admittees who have fallen and suffer broken bones especially during snowy or icy times. He says the patients range in age, affecting more than just the elderly. \n"Usually with icy, snowy weather, we see an increase in falls," he said. "We see people from of all ages -- from campus, from town. The falls do not discriminate."\nNevertheless, Freeman says the Public Works force is working hard to ensure slip-free streets.\n"I think the whole crew is working to maintain safe streets for the community," he said.