Carlin, DiFranco coming

Tickets for two April events will soon go on sale

Tickets for two April events will soon go on sale. \nComedian George Carlin will perform at the IU Auditorium on April 6. Fans of folk music and punk rock may find each other at the same event on April 14 as Ani DiFranco brings elements of both genres to the IU Auditorium. \nDiFranco's show will follow the upcoming release of her new studio album "Evolve" and a winter tour with folk icon Bob Dylan in Australia and New Zealand.\nThe performance will be a stop on her solo tour that starts on March 11, the same day her new studio album will be released. Some of the12 featured songs on the album have already been integrated into her live shows.\nDiFranco produced her debut self-titled album in 1990 on her own label, "Righteous Babe Records." Throughout the past decade she has produced nearly 20 albums, with the most recent release being a double disc collection of live performances.\nThe live album, "So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter," came out last year with two hours of music for fans and newcomers. Senior Mike Quilligan was pleasantly surprised when a friend of his sprung the album on him.\n"While I'm not a huge fan of most of Ani's stuff, a friend played me one of her more recent albums, and I was impressed," Quilligan said. "It was well arranged, with lots of horns and stuff."\nThis will be the third appearance by DiFranco at IU. She played October dates at the auditorium both in 1999 and 2001, bringing in a large number of students both times.\n"She was really popular with the students the last couple of times she played," Union Board Marketing Director Scott Dittmer said.\nJake Rohn, the new concerts director for the auditorium, said he wanted to bring her back to give freshmen the opportunity to see her live. \nDiFranco has decided to remain an independent artist since she started her career at the age of 19. She not only produces all of her own albums, but creates her own artwork and music, with constant touring being DiFranco's sole promotional tool.\n"The fact that she can bring 2,500 people without getting spin from the radio and TV all the time is pretty remarkable," Rohn said.\nTickets are $27 for students and $31 for non-students.\nKnown for his seven dirty words you can't say on television, satirist George Carlin will perform at IU Auditorium on Sunday, April 6 at 8 p.m. Tickets for the performance go on sale Friday, Feb 7.\nThe event, presented by the Union Board, marks Carlin's second appearance at IU. Last year's performance was a success for the Auditorium. Tickets sold out during the subscription and pre-order campaign. \nAdam Hitchcock, director of comedy for the Union Board, is certain that this year's performance will be as successful.\n"George Carlin is one of the greatest comedians of all time and he appeals across generations," Hitchcock said. "This year tickets are more focused on students and not the IU Auditorium ticket holders."\nHitchcock also said IU students would receive a student discount when purchasing tickets. Lower level prices are $27.50 for students and $37.50 for non-students. Balcony seating is $17.50 and $27.50.\nCarlin has won many awards in his lifetime as a comedian. His achievements include winning the Lifetime Achievement Award at the American Comedy Awards in April 2001 and four Grammys for Best Spoken Comedy Album in the 1990s. Carlin has left audiences laughing with his opinionated commentary and attitudes on sex, drugs and politics.\n"He's a funny, dirty old man," sophomore Jordan Trubitt said. "Last year it sold out, so this year I would buy tickets to see him." \nHitchcock said Carlin has been compared to other comedians like Richard Pryor as the greatest of all time. \n"George Carlin is not known for just one thing. He has his own style of comedy and he makes you think," Hitchcock said. "He's actually educational in a social and cultural sense. He challenges notions and ideas you already have."\nEven though Carlin has made many people laugh throughout the decades and has won many awards in his lifetime, others might find his humor offensive. Some IU students believe he says some remarks that are not particularly funny.\n"I always remember him because he's always cussing," senior Collin Shrum said. "My friends think he's funny but without him cussing all the time his material wouldn't be too great."\nAdvertising campaigns for the performance will start early next week and an opening act will be named later in the month. The Union Board is excited to bring this event to the IU campus.\n"I'm very excited about this show this year," Hitchcock said. "It's more focused on students, and it's a great way to have someone who's incredibly funny come to your college campus"