Make snipers pay, live

Linda Franklin, a native of nearby Columbus, Ind., was in a Home Depot parking garage in Falls Church, Va. when she was shot and killed by the snipers who have been linked to nearly 20 nationwide shootings to date. Her husband watched her die. Franklin survived breast cancer and worked for the FBI in the Cyber Division at the National Infrastructure Protection Center. But in one cruel, unforgiving moment, the cancer that had inhabited her body and the dangers associated with one of the world's most prestigious law enforcement agencies didn't matter. Her husband saw it all and could do nothing about it. \n If the federal government convicts John Allen Muhammad and John Lee Malvo for these killings and administers the death penalty, it would be an easy way out for individuals who have caused so much pain. For this reason, the IDS Editorial Board believes the government shouldn't seek the death penalty, and, instead, give those convicted life without possibility of parole, and make them pay for the rest of their natural lives.\n The snipers have shown no regard for human life. What better punishment is there than to force them to live? \n This isn't an anti- or pro-death penalty argument. This is an argument of administering justice in such a way that those responsible face the full consequences. Even with the appeals and lengthy court hearings that would come with the death penalty, such a punishment would be too easy for someone who made life hell for Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. residents. \nThe guilty party claimed their motive was money, as stated in a note left to several law enforcement agencies in the area of the shootings. \n"Try to catch us withdrawing at least you will have less body bags," the author wrote. "(But) if trying to catch us now more important then prepare you body bags." \nMoney was placed over human life. In order to obtain a requested sum of $10 million, mothers, fathers, brothers and children lost their lives. Along with the shootings surrounding the nation's capital, authorities are learning they could be linked to deaths in Washington and Alabama. Life was meaningless to the killers that held the nation's capital, and its media, hostage. \nPutting someone to death who had placed a death penalty on so many innocent individuals is not justice. The true punishment is in forcing those to experience something they hate and show no value toward -- living.